Wire/Cable Advice!
Nov 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dirkpitt45

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT:

I've spent some more time looking around and I think I've got a good idea of what I need finally. Only thing I'm hung up on now is what kind of wire to use. Not limited to Canada anymore (can only get viablue minis from the states) so I'm seeing a lot more choices now. I'm still trying to make the least memory and most flexible cable I can. I'm thinking the best way to go about doing that would be to use hook-up wire and braid it? So I'd need a total of 4 strands (two ground and 2 channels right? for non balanced), or would something like the small mogami cable work out better? 

Quote:
I'm planning on re-cabling both my ms1 and m50s, the thick rubber cords on both are starting to annoy the fuzz out of me. I take my m50s to school and work in the library for a period every day (at least until the DBA-02s arrive, which could take a long time at this rate..) and the cable is constantly kinked and twisted. Figured I'd might as well do the m1s (which will eventually be ms1000s) as well, the Y connector is starting to look a little sketchy. 

I've got experience with soldering and electronics, not much but enough, and if I ran into trouble my dad used to be a big electronics geek so no problems there. I re-sleeved the power supply on my old pc, and I loved how the cords came out. So that's kind of the type I'm looking for, I used stuff similar to this (for some fans) that a fellow forumer shipped to me for cheap http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3730/slv-29/FLEXO_PET_18_Nylon_Cable_Sleeve_-_Black.html?tl=g44c175s359. So ideally I'm looking for a cable that's thin and flexible, and I would love to get it to look like that. 

Not too sure on what type of cable or where to get it from. I'm not looking for TWAG level cable, just something that's thin and flexible mostly. I'd also like to make both the ms1s and m50s with removable cables. Just laying everything out I'll need:

5 male 3.5mm 
3 female 3.5mm
3m maybe 5m for extra cable 
Black heat-wrap, or just electrical tape if things start to get a bit costly

I was thinking of getting something flashier for the 3.5male on one end of the cable (love the m-50s shiny one lol) and smaller ones for the cups to keep the weight/size down. I've also seen a few picture of re-cabled m50s with a cord going to each cup (not sure what that's called) instead of the single. Is there an advantage to that? Or is it just preference? 

Basically just looking for some advice on where to buy and what to get. A Canadian store would be great, but if somewhere in the states is much cheaper and better it's not too big of a deal. The border is only 40 minutes from me so I can always get it shipped to the border and go for a drive. 

Thanks for the help. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 4
I didn't like using the Mogami, though many do.  I ended up getting some MIL spec silver plated copper from Navships on ebay.  I got stranded 24 gage or so, I forget exactly.  Anyway, seven strands per wire, in teflon.  It is nice and flexible.  I then did the 4 wire braid on it.  It made a nice headphone cable.  I know others have used it with good success as well.  If you search on threads I've started, about a year and a half or so ago, I started 2 or 3 describing the project.  FallenAngel also has a nice recable guide.  In fact, if you search on recable guide, several helpful threads come up.  Anyway, check out the Navships stuff.  Nice wire, nice price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back