Winter heating temps
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
OK So we in Colorado had our first snow of the fall yesterday, and we turned on the furnace. I've set it to 68, during the day/ evening, 62 overnight (we have a heated underblanket).

Of course the mother in law comes over today and freaks out that its too cold.. I say put a sweater on and deal with it... any opinions? is 68 really too cold?

(they have the temp in their house at something crazy like 75)

What do you guys/gals have the temp at in the winter months?

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 24
Winter?!? Whoa let's not go that far.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 24
Depends on the room:
Living room and kitchen -> 22-23°C (71-73°F)
Bathroom -> 24-25°C (75-77°F)
Bedroom -> 16-17°C (60-62°F)

Nothing like returning home to a warm apartment when it is snowy and cold outside.
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 24
I set my temperatures exactly the same as you do. Both my wife and I prefer it cooler. Most of our friends know to wear sweaters when they come visit us.
I do raise the temperature to 70 when I notice that someone is uncomfortable. Any higher and I find it too warm.

Some years ago I did some research because of the complaints and found that studies indicated that the preferred comfortable winter temperature for most people is in the range of 70 - 72. Unless you have health problems, 68 is an acceptable temperature if on the low end of the range. 62 was actually the recommended night time temperature. My brother keeps his place at 72 during the day and 65 at night.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 24
Winter?! It's technically summer for another 3 hours and 13 minutes!

68f is fine. they can put on a sweater.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the room:
Living room and kitchen -> 22-23°C (71-73°F)
Bathroom -> 24-25°C (75-77°F)
Bedroom -> 16-17°C (60-62°F)

Nothing like returning home to a warm apartment when it is snowy and cold outside.
smile.gif

Same here. 22 Celsius in our house.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 24
1' of snow accumulation scheduled for tonight. My Heater is busted and the rental agency doesn't believe me, so we'll see how cold it gets in casa Sherwood.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

Conversely there's nothing like having to wear lighter clothing to work in the winter than the summer because someone has decreed that the thermostat should be set 4 degrees higher in the winter.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 24
well i usually aim for about 18 but i rarely bother having the heating on.

i still have the windows left open all day and night and the thermometer is saying its 22 just now, not bad for this time of night with the windows open oh have no idea what they are in fahrenheit

anyway its your house have the temp at whatever you like, if she doesnt like it suggest you will change the temp to make he as a guest happy if she will do the same next your at hers

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 24
We usually have our house set for about 62-64 F during the day, 58-60 at night. If it's really cold out I might turn the thermostat up to 66-68, but that's only because the thermostat is in the center of the house, which means that when it's really cold outside and it's set to 62 then most of the house is around 59.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 24
I set my thermostat to 69*F during the day and turn it down to 66*F for the night during the winter.

You must have very low humidity (dryness) in Colorado to be able to set your thermostat that low. I notice people from higher humidity area like Western Europe set their thermostats much higher.

Do you have any frost or condensation problems on the walls or around the windows from setting the temperature that low (62*F) ?

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 24
I'm in Minnesota- but yes, it's very dry in the winter. I can't say I've ever noticed any frost or condensation on the walls or around the windows when the temperature is set that low.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 24
Wow... it was 94 here yesterday. "Winter" here is sort of a joke though. The high might stay below freezing for a few days this year... the heater is usually set to 67 upstairs (bedrooms) and 69 downstairs (living, kitchen, dining, etc.) in the winter. I also have it crank down during the day to save gas/power if nobody is home. Although the heater never has to work hard since it doesn't get that cold.

The A/C is another story. We had 68 days over 100 degrees this year (the record is 69 days set during the dust bowl). I was lucky if upstairs would cool down to 77 by bedtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back