Winter ear warmer - Bored of Bose.
Nov 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about those Beats by Dre headphones?

Power requirement. As the recently-cleared small pile of Bluetooth headsets will evidence, not for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone's.

Headband issues, although certainly less than the ridiculous SRH840. Still too bulky to an extent.

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #32 of 42
If you're under 30 you might be able to get away with those new "Beats by Dre". I've never been able to get a real feel for what they sound like though. The listening setups at places like Best Buy have them cranked so loud, and have the EQ on everything 300hz and lower so high, they'll peel the paint off of your home and give your family a permanent orange afro.

The look kinda cool though, so if you can get an honest SQ test on them they might be worth looking in to. The 30 year old caveat is because you're likely to be mocked by the kiddies if you're an "old guy" wearing them.

ack.. never mind.. your post about power req's wasn't there when I posted.

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjaardker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're under 30 you might be able to get away with those new "Beats by Dre". I've never been able to get a real feel for what they sound like though. The listening setups at places like Best Buy have them cranked so loud, and have the EQ on everything 300hz and lower so high, they'll peel the paint off of your home and give your family a permanent orange afro.

The look kinda cool though, so if you can get an honest SQ test on them they might be worth looking in to. The 30 year old caveat is because you're likely to be mocked by the kiddies if you're an "old guy" wearing them.

ack.. never mind.. your post about power req's wasn't there when I posted.

Actually, apart from their power-related and other electronics foibles, they're not bad at all. If they had a Sennheiser logo they'd be much more favourably reviewed here, especially given the slide I mentioned. Grado could have OEM'd these with the beats logo upside down and Head-Fi'ers will probably have fallen over themselves in the rush to buy
evil_smiley.gif

It's just I've found NC headphones (and it's irrelevant if they work without power, since I'd want the cancelling on all the time if it was an NC phone) impossible to live with on an 'everyday-pick-upper' basis, even if it's just for the winter.

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Know you said circumaural but akg k450 is good portable 'phone with great isolation at the price and think they look ok !

If they're at all sonically similar to the 414's, bleh. And if they're also similar in terms of isolation, kinda useless in comparison to the Bose. Are they?

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 42
The Shure 440s are slightly smaller and less heavy than the 880s and also have favorable reviews.

that Shure SRH750DJ DJ also has some different looks then the 440/840s... Also I remember someone giving a good review to some Roland headphones....also there is German maestro. I think you might have exasuted all the options I know of... then again I don't know much.

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #38 of 42
Looking at identifiable-component scaling, there doesn't seem to be any significant change of size (and most importantly, look when fitted) between the 440 and the 840. 240's are different but I'm not sure I'm looking to go downmarket to this degree... while I'm sure Shure can deliver good sonic bang for the buck, I'm not convinced it'll actually be better than the Bose.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #39 of 42
The Phiaton headphones have gotten decent reviews from here and other audiophile websites and look about as modern as you can get before turning into Dr. Dre Beats or Skullcandy. ( Amazon.com: Phiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Sound: Electronics )

Also, the Roland RH-300 had some favorable revews recently on here and a few other websites. It looks more professional, but balances a little style in there unlike the all-professional Shures. ( Roland | RH-300 - Circumaural Stereo Studio Headphones | RH-300 )

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Phiaton headphones have gotten decent reviews from here and other audiophile websites and look about as modern as you can get before turning into Dr. Dre Beats or Skullcandy. ( Amazon.com: Phiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Sound: Electronics )

Also, the Roland RH-300 had some favorable revews recently on here and a few other websites. It looks more professional, but balances a little style in there unlike the all-professional Shures. ( Roland | RH-300 - Circumaural Stereo Studio Headphones | RH-300 )

Is that... Mock Croc?

[size=xx-small]Pfft... wow.[/size]

I'll investigate these further. Thanks for the pointer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back