"Winged Migration"...Remarkable nature film.
Jul 4, 2004 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
I just rented an incredible French nature documentary called "Winged Migration" which has taken nature photography to a whole new level. Insprired by the Canadian guy who 15 years prior, using an ultralight plane, managed to guide a flock of geese on their annual migration, this French film crew consisting of a total of more than 450 people including 3 directors, 17 pilots, and 14 cinematographer's, used planes, gliders, helicopters, balloons, and high speed boats to travel amongst, alongside, above, below, and in front of their subjects. This results in some of the most remarkable footage of birds in flight I've ever seen. It took them more than 4 years filming in 40 countries and each of the seven continents to put it all together. To get some of the more intimate shots, the film crews lived with the birds right from birth so the birds would bond with them and be used to having humans nearby and to the noise of the aircraft etc.

HERE'S a trailer. (which doesn't do the movie justice.)

If you are into nature flicks and/or groundbreaking videography, this one shouldn't be missed.

Jul 4, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 9
yeah, i remember seeing it when it was out in theatres. some amazing stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I saw this film about a year ago (And while i don't remember it *terribly* well due to the power of *ahem* distraction by a female companion), there are some really amazing shots in this film, i highly reccomend it.

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 9
The video is so amazing you are almost able to ignore the miserable faux new age soundtrack and lame voiceover. I particularly liked the scenes of massed takeoffs!

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

The video is so amazing you are almost able to ignore the miserable faux new age soundtrack and lame voiceover.

Perhaps you're talking about the "director's cut" segment with the voiceover. I don't remember much talking at all on the main film.

Jul 4, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 9
yeah i agree about this film. it's awesome. it really manages to convey the power of nature. there's something about seeing the film which makes me want to become a green activist.

i didn't notice too much voiceover in the film either...

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Yep its pretty cool. Ive got the dvd with the "how they filmed it footage" and its pretty impressive. Im into birding and bird photography and this movie is special.

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Winged migration is full of beautiful shots.

Even if you don't like wildlife, but appreciate good cinematography, go see this film.

It is visually breathtaking in many places.

And no cheap lame special effects either
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back