Wine Enthusiasts, I need help.
May 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MexicanDragon

100+ Head-Fier
**EDIT** Please read post 13 first... thanks.

I put it to you, wine enthusiasts, to make up my mind, as I know not what I get myself into.

The Setting: Wedding, 1.5 weeks away

The predicament: I have until tomorrow afternoon to finalize some plans. One big problem; the wine list.

I just need to pick a few. This is a cash bar... I like my friends, but I can't afford to finance their drunken antics... I'm just paying for the photographer and videographer to capture them. <g>

Anyways... I need to choose about 3 wines from this list for them to stock. Cash bar (hey... the $$$ i save will buy an amp... i'm not cheap, just have priorities (and i'm already 2g's over budget...sigh)). I'm partial to reds, but will need probably 1 of each. The less expensive the better, but I also want something reasonably good. Let's say, I want the KSC-35 (or 75) of wines. Sure, you want GS1000's at home, but just bummin' around portable, mp3's and 75's are a lot of fun!

750mL
Eagle Creek Chardonnay $12
Tessera Chardonnay $21
Kendall Jackson Chardonnay $28
Sutter Home Sauvignon Blanc $11
Monterey Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc $14
Sutter Home White Zinfandel $11
Montevina White Zinfandel $12
Napa Ridge Merlot $20
Trinchero Merlot $27
Napa Ridge Pinot Noir $23
Tessera Cabernet Sauvignon $21
Hawk Crest Cabernet Sauvignon $27

1.5 L
Robert Mondavi (Beringer) White Zinfandel (1.5L) $18
Sycamore Lane White Zinfandel $20
Timber Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon $21
Beringer Founders Estate Cabernet Sauvignon $41
Pacific Cliffs Merlot $22
Beringer Founders Estate Merlot $41
Eagle Creek Chardonnay $21
Sutter Home Chardonnay $24

Sparkling Wines
Freixenet Brut de Noir $16
Domaine St. Michelle Blanc de Blancs $24
Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut $35

Thanks so much for the help.

**BRENT**

May 28, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 19
as it says in the Good Book order the more expensive refined wine in the early part of the reception and have them stock the el-cheapo stuff at the later part as people are intoxicated by then and dont care anymore...congrats on the wedding

May 28, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 19
Wine certainly does have it's fair share of KSC75's, however, with such a limited selection, you are pretty much out of luck.

I'd get

Freixenet Brut de Noir $16 (it will only be for toasts after all)

Eagle Creek Chardonnay $12 (it will probably only be the women drinking it anyhow)

Beringer makes an excellent cab. Obviously I am biased, but I would spend the bucks on the reds and go frugal on the rest. It is my feeling that people that care what they drink will order the red, and this is a nice red. The others as I said are for toasts, or for women that would normally say "I'll have a glass of house chardonnay".

May 28, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek

Thanks Squeek for the rec... luckily this is at least a 1.5L bottle, so in essence just over 20$ for a normal bottle. Like I said (at least I think i said), it'll be a cash bar, so people will be picking up their own drinks. I'll either go with this one, or I'll bring in a bottle of scotch. I picked up a bottle of Dalmore 12 (per recomendation of HF'er Tyson http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71576 ... I was quite pleased with this bottle, so I may just sneak in a flask if it comes to it.

What about the Sutter Home? I know some friends of mine like it well enough for a less expensive wine, but they also drink cheap everything else, because it gets them drunk.

If anyone has any other thoughts, they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

**BRENT**

May 28, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 19
I myself am a big fan of La Botte dell'Abate, a nice Italian red. At the liquor store hereabouts they sell a case for about $8/bottle (750ml).

You really don't have to spend more than $10/bottle to get good wine. Unless it comes from California, of course.

May 28, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the ideas, my only problem is that I HAVE to order from the list above. I'll find out tomorrow if they will let me bring in outside wines, and if so, it shouldn't be a problem... however, that's all they stock.

I'll print out a list of the recommendations tomorrow before I leave, and I'll see what I can do about getting them to broaden their horizons, but I don't believe they will.

If there's anything on that list other than what's been suggested earlier that's (to your pallate) as good or better, let me know. Thanks again...

**BRENT**

May 28, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for your help guys, printin' the list right now. Gonna offer up some rec's to them as well... <g> Have a good one

**BRENT**

May 29, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 19
So...

after all the trouble with trying to find something that was on their list, it turns out that they CAN get most any other thing. SO.... if anyone still can throw out a few options out there in the "ksc-75" range, (we'll say a good choice, 8-10$ range), it'd be wonderful. At that point, we'll just pick up the wine for everyone, and let them buy their own beer if they so choose. That way, everyone can get something to drink for free if they wish, and I'm not stuck with a huge bill for beer, which I don't even want to consume.

DanG, I threw up the La Botte dell'Abate, but she didn't know if she could get that or not... we'll just have to see.

I have until thursday afternoon to come up with a list, so not as rushed as previously thought.

Anyways, its 4:30 in the morning, and I'm off to work. Just 1 more week of this... and it'll all be over... I can't wait! Thanks again for all the help, but once I get 1 more groomsman fitted for a tux, and get the DJ straightened out... the planning will be done! wish me luck...

**BRENT**

May 29, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 19
My hubby is a wine snob, (a.k.a. sommelier) he will read your post and I will respond shortly. Take care!

May 30, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 19
Hey Brent,

I've seen it lots of places here in the Boston area, but I don't know what's available down in Tennessee. I personally just haven't had any luck with California wines and I don't buy French. Italian wines just seem to give me much better price/performance. But the Australian ones can be okay if you're not going to have a bunch of wine snobs over and don't want to pay too much.

Oh, and congratulations on the wedding! I hope it goes great.

Dan

May 31, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 19
Just to revive a little, went to a trusted local store, and if the venue will allow me to bring in my own wine, some of the less expensive wines recommended by the shop owner were as follows:

Moscato
Yellow Tail
Little Penguin
Black Swan
Lindeman's

Would any of these be worth it, at about 10.50 to 12$ a bottle... and any other rec's at that range will be appreciated.

I REALLY need to stop doing things at the last minute. ...

**BRENT**

May 31, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 19
I've had all of those but the Moscato, and all are great value. Great recs! Yellow Tail makes a nice Chardonnay that is priced very well. Their cab is quite nice as well.

My absolute favorite budget reds are Santa Alicia Merlot (Portugal) $9.95 CDN and Errazuriz Max Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon (Portugal) $18.95 CDN. The Lindemans Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Australia) $14.95 CDN is also very nice, but it's got nothing on the Max.

Portugal is the best kept secret in wine, bar none.

Stay away from Wolfblass. It's overpriced and quality has dropped over the last 2 years. I mention it only because there are so many other Australians listed in your post.

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanDragon
Just to revive a little, went to a trusted local store, and if the venue will allow me to bring in my own wine, some of the less expensive wines recommended by the shop owner were as follows:

Moscato
Yellow Tail
Little Penguin
Black Swan
Lindeman's

Would any of these be worth it, at about 10.50 to 12$ a bottle... and any other rec's at that range will be appreciated.

I REALLY need to stop doing things at the last minute. ...

**BRENT**

Jun 1, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 19
Thanks squeek for the confirmation. Maybe I should get into wine more, at these prices, it could be a nice little hobby.

I'm still waiting to hear if they'll let me bring in my own, I'm waiting on an e-mail, and have to make the wine decision by tomorrow. Hopefully everything will work out.

**BRENT**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back