Windows Xp SP2 is out - Offical
Aug 10, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 26
Just installed SP2 on the family computers. Works nicely. I'm not knowledgeable enough about networks to get very excited!
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The only problem with Linux is that sometimes it is pretty hard to install. Once you successfully install it you are set. I have a linux partition for the last 4 years and its solid as a rock...I have left it on for several months at times running my SETI server
tongue.gif
LOL

I tried installing Linux a couple of years ago (I hadn't used Win XP at that time), and couldn't. I suppose it's a sort of initiation rite, like the tests you have to go through to join the SAS (marines to you)- if you can get through them you can face anything.
Isn't installing anything on Linux pretty hard? Where by hard, I mean, taking more than a mouse click! (As you can see, I'm not SAS material!)

Aug 10, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
yup.
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

I was just curious, what ide and language do you use to write it? visual studio with c#? I'll be trying to get an internship with microsoft next summer, and I'm curious what they use for their own projects.

EDIT: also, you heard about the seattle meet this weekend?

Aug 11, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #19 of 26
I'll wait and see how many of your pc's crash before i download this
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I tried installing Linux a couple of years ago (I hadn't used Win XP at that time), and couldn't. I suppose it's a sort of initiation rite, like the tests you have to go through to join the SAS (marines to you)- if you can get through them you can face anything.

No, getting X to work right is the intiation rite (one which I have yet to pass in the 5 or 6 times I've tried installing Linux, though each time I get closer to getting it right).

Quote:

Isn't installing anything on Linux pretty hard? Where by hard, I mean, taking more than a mouse click! (As you can see, I'm not SAS material!)

Generally, yes. Installing almost every program on Linux requires the use of the command line (the thing that looks like DOS). Each of the major distros includes a packaging tool that's suppost to make it easy but none of them really are easy to use/configure to the average user. In fact, I've had apt-get hose a Debian install when it only finished installing a library half-way the last time I tried Linux. IMHO, this issue, the lack of vendor-supplied drivers/information to create drivers, and the lack of a standardized sound system (OSS, ALSA, JACK, and ARTS are just a few of the ones you can choose) are really what is holding Linux back right now.

Aug 11, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 26
Does SP2 eat more memory? It seems like it does from a fresh install I did on somebody's computer. Could be the extra things running.

Aug 11, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #25 of 26
I'd already installed the beta version of SP2 that somebody pointed us to a few weeks ago, and that's been working fine for me.

Last night, "auto-update" notified me that SP2 was ready to download / install the official release version. That download was 75 MB -- I assume it's smaller for me since I've already got the beta version installed. It chunked away in the background for a while to download, and then the installation took maybe 10 minutes. Seems to be working fine. I also like the update so far.

Aug 11, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #26 of 26
So could this be installed on non-english XP machines or do I have to wait for a version in my language?

edit: nevermind the following Also, can one somehow create an xp installation-cd which install sp2 automatic when you install windows anyway? If so, how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back