Windows XP: Slow Internet connection troubles...
Sep 14, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

hembergler

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm posting this on behalf of one of my teachers, and I was hoping someone here could help me.

Here is the problem: One of the new teachers has a laptop loaded with XP SP2. He says he gets a perfectly good internet connection at home and at his former work via wireless and hardwired connections. However, at school, he gets almost no internet connection. The strange part is that he does get a connection and I've tried pinging various sites and received perfectly decent speeds. However, when it comes to web browsing or useful internet usage, it is horrendously slow. (Think 14.4k, but slower) He can check his email using Outlook, but he can only do so after the computer has been on for five or so minutes, otherwise it seems to not connect at all.

I've tried disabling the Windows Firewall, messing with various internet security settings, and I've made sure it's connecting to the right place. Wireless or wired makes no difference. Normally changing the Firewall settings has worked for me in the past, but this particular situation has me puzzled.

Right now, my best idea is to have him try connecting from another location around school to see if anything changes. That would at least narrow down the options.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that it has to be the school server right now because he gets good connections elsewhere, but I just don't know why that would be. (Other XP laptops connect fine in this particular building)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back