Windows XP service pack 3 -- makes Foobar2000 play songs 20x speed - help!
Dec 9, 2008 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I have been using EAC+LAME to rip my cds into FLAC, and Foobar 2000 as my FLAC player and converter into V0 mp3 for the DAP.

This is on a Dell tower that is about 3 years old, at 2.7ghz P4 processor. Last night, the update button prompted me to updated my XP SP2 to SP3. everything seemed fine until I ripped a couple of cds. When I grabbed the FLAC files into Foobar2000 to convert to mp3 (and I like to listen to a couple of songs while its converting), the song had no sound and the playbar went zooming through the song in about 15 seconds.

So I took 20 minutes to UN-install SP3 and restore SP2, and everything is fine again.

Does anyone know what I may have done wrong? Should I reinstall XP SP3, erase Foobar2000, and reinstall Foobar2000? will that fix it?

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 3
I would try re-installing SP3 then re-install foobar after that. May as well, foobar .9.6 is out now so you'll upgrade anyway (if you want and if you haven't already).

I think SP3 screwed my computer up too but in different ways. I have to restart my laptop everytime I want to print something over our wireless network. Didn't used to before SP3.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, I wonder what the advantages of SP3 are... I heard it is mostly security, which is a really good ideas because malware and spyware have taken over any XP run computer that surfs the net on SP2... I had to wipe out my three XP computers 18 months ago it was so bad... then discovered superantispyware.com and everything is fine since (so long as it is actually run manually about ever two weeks). I see that Windows Defender comes with Vista... a little late but a good idea. XPs security vulerabilities drove a lot of people who don't buy or fun antispyware programs over to Mac's expensive machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back