Windows XP Help!
Oct 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nick20

Banned
Hey guys, I use a Mac, however my Mom wants me to add some "parental" controls to her older computer with XP.

Here's the problem:

My sister, whos 14 is an AVID myspace user, and gets on for hours upon hours, which bothers my Mom. I have put a timer on the internet, so she can only be on so long, however she abuses this, and just shutsdown the computer, and reboots it, and the timer is back on.

So, she has recently created her own account without my Moms permission, however I keep deleting her "own" accounts. I cannot manage my Mom's computer, and leave it up to my Mom, however she needs my help, and my knowledge with XP is only so limited, so I am turning to you guys for help.

This is what I am trying to achieve:

Putting some sort of "locking" controls on the "User Account" part in the control panel so she cannot create her own account when she is on, and HAS to have my Mom's permission to get onto the computer. And once she tries to abuse the "online timer" she will on longer be able to get back on, because she doesn't know the admin (or main) accounts password, this will negate he desire to be on myspace for extended periods of time.

This is my solution to the problem, but I am willing to hear what you guys have to offer. I am doing this on my Mom's behalf, I personally don't care. That's what I have my own computer for.

On my Mac, I have it setup where you NEED a different password to do any adjustments to the admin account, and this is exactly what I'm trying to do to my Mom's computer, but don't know where to start. I hope this all makes sense...

Thanks for your help..

-Nick
600smile.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 8
I think the most important thing would be to not let your sister have access to an account with administrator privileges!

Just create a Limited User account for her, and put a password on both it and your mom's account. Make sure only your mom knows the passwords. That way, your sister will only have access to the machine when your mom puts in the password for her, and she won't be able to mess with the user accounts.

You should also ensure that the default Administrator account, if it exists, is password protected as well.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the most important thing would be to not let your sister have access to an account with administrator privileges!

Just create a Limited User account for her, and put a password on both it and your mom's account. Make sure only your mom knows the passwords. That way, your sister will only have access to the machine when your mom puts in the password for here, and she won't be able to mess with the user accounts.

Hmm.. pretty good idea, I never thought about it that way. I will do this now..
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the easiest solution.. I hope it works..

Thanks,

-Nick
600smile.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I go guest
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I go guest
wink.gif

Right, make sure the Guest account is disabled as well.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, make sure the Guest account is disabled as well.

It is. Otherwise she could just click that, and get back on.

I have passworded both accounts so my Mom only knows. Now, she's pissed at me, but I'm not worried about it. She doesn't understand it's a privilege to have and use a computer.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 8
you can further limit her account with group policy editor
wink.gif

like disabling going into control panel, internet option, etc

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can further limit her account with group policy editor
wink.gif

like disabling going into control panel, internet option, etc

Can you further elaborate on this? What/where can I get more info on this?

Thank you,

-Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back