Windows XP File Sharing... Am I thick?
Nov 11, 2001 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hiya folks... Windows XP woes follow...

I've had XP since lauch day (26 oct)... and now its really starting to bug me
frown.gif

First off (but least importantly) MSN Chat no longer works with XP - something to do with IE6... but, can't uninstall it... oh well, bye bye chat
frown.gif

Secondly, and more frustratingly, I have Morpheus installed (with Windows 95 compatibility mode), and have downloaded various MP3s, but i did something a bit silly... I copied them all to a different directory... now, neither the original files, nor the copied ones work - comes up with a windows media player error of "Access Denied - File may be in use"... does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?
frown.gif

Many thanks for your time...

A very frustated XP user...

Duncan

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 11
Oh, dear......don't kno what to say.....other than.....Microsoft has a clearly evil element to it; sorta like Shinra in Final Fantasy VII.....

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 11
lol vij
wink.gif

Maybe i should clarify the thread title slightly...

The files started life in a "Shared" folder that means that people could upload the files from me (just in case you don't know how Morpheus works)... is that my problem? that because i moved the files from a shared to a non-shared location, that the files are now effectively locked for me as well as everyone else??

I tried to copy them back to the original directory, and then in frustration, tried to delete the files, but both times had a windows error box come up saying simply "Access Denied"
frown.gif

Thanks folks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Not sure I can help, but I'll try.
Can you delete or move the original downloaded files?
If you downloaded a new file right now and then tried to delete it, would it be deleted?
What are the permisions set on the shared folder, and on the folder you copied them to?
Have you been logged in as the same user this whole time?
What access level (admin, guest, etc...) do you have?

I wouldn't think whether a folder is shared or not would matter, since it should only restrict outside access...

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 11
Have you tried rebooting and accessing the files again? Have you tried going into task manager and ending the "morpheus.exe" (or whatever the process name is for Morpheus) process and then trying again? Have you tried using a different MP3 player than Media Player (e.g. Winamp)?

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the replies...

Some more info... Something that wasn't made apparent to my when i purchased XP...

I started out with XP as an upgrade to ME, but then there were some problems with compatibility with some files (namely ZoneAlarm)... then, about a week after buying XP it stopped working...

I then did a clean install to a new directory... this then (now) works fine...

Since my initial posting, i've been experimenting, and i can get the files to work in the "new" xp, I went into safe mode, and then one by one changed the security permissions of the files, to be owned by myself... this means that they now work on "New" XP, but not on my other hard-drive that contains ME

Is there a way to disable the need for security "permissions"? I am the administrator on both setups, but when i go into safe mode, the only way to change security permissions is to log in as the full blown administrator, and not under my own user name...

Having used windows from way back when I had Windows 95 OSR A I find it slightly naff that i have to allocate permissions to everything that i want to move
frown.gif

Any help would be VERY gratefully appreciated

Thanks guys and gals
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Wait...you upgraded from ME to XP, right? So how can ME still be on your other hard drive?

Quote:

then, about a week after buying XP it stopped working

What stopped working? XP or Zone Alarm?

Quote:

I then did a clean install to a new directory... this then (now) works fine...

So you did another installed another copy of XP in a different directory--so there are now two copies of XP on your computer?

And on which copy was the original problem MP3 problem occurring?

In terms of changing security permissions, you should probably login as Administrator on whichever copy of XP you want (stick with one!) and change the security permissions on the entire hard drive for that OS.

Why do you need to go into safe mode at all? Login normally as Administrator, right click on the hard drive and go to "Sharing and Security" and you should be able to make all the necessary adjustments from there.

Nov 11, 2001 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Hokies, I'll have a look in control panel to see what is lurking in there...

Windows ME... I had a 6.4gb hard drive with ME installed - upgraded that to a 30gb HD, and did a drive copy... so had two copys of ME (re-installed the first hard drive, and swap in the bios which one is off, and which on is working)... then, the 30gb version... that got overwritten with the first version of XP...

XP (1st version)... the whole of windows died... I got the picture of the field, and then, that was it, no task bar, task manager, or anything...

then i installed the second version in a different directory (WINXP)... and then went from there...

XP... pain in the bum me thinks...

btw - has anyone else had problems like this?? - and does anyone know why my chat isn't working anymore??

Nov 11, 2001 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Zone Alarm has a Windows XP upgrade patch (at least for the Pro version). Have you applied that?

Nov 12, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 11
From what i can gather, the following applies...

No matter who "owns" the file, once it is moved from one directory to another, the security rights are cancelled...

then, you have to log into safe mode, to be able to change the settings back to being owned by yourself... else, you get the access denied file error...

this is good in principle, saves people hacking away at your computer... but its a bit of a pain in the bum if you have to go into safe mode each and every time you move a file...

does anyone know if there is any way to do this "on the fly"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back