Windows Vista Snap Shots
Feb 24, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
it's a total osx ripoff... but that's pretty much MS's game. the "gadgets" are about as blatant as ripoffs get... and i'm a windows guy (hopefully not for too much longer).

I have heard that OSX's widgets were a blatant ripoff of the old "Konfabulator" product which was bought out by Yahoo.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 45
You heard correctly.

It's ironic that people praise Apple for their "original" designs when they didn't actually design OSX. They bought out NeXT, and used OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP (which isn't a bad thing, as it was a nice OS). It wasn't even their first choice either, they tried to buy out Be before that.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
You heard correctly.

It's ironic that people praise Apple for their "original" designs when they didn't actually design OSX. They bought out NeXT, and used OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP (which isn't a bad thing, as it was a nice OS). It wasn't even their first choice either, they tried to buy out Be before that.

In all fairness to Apple and their relationship with NeXT, both were Jobs companies. I don't see Apple buying NeXT on the urging of Steve as a bad thing at all. It's like making the best wine in the world, which happens to be a blend, and you borrowed some of your brother's grapes. Still your wine, but you kept everything in the family.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 45
Like I said, it was a good business move as NeXT had a solid operating system and Apple was floundering. However, I would hardly say it's "keeping it all in the family" when Apple shelled out ~$430 million for NeXT.

My point remains though: Apple didn't design OSX, they bought it.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Like I said, it was a good business move as NeXT had a solid operating system and Apple was floundering. However, I would hardly say it's "keeping it all in the family" when Apple shelled out ~$430 million for NeXT.

My point remains though: Apple didn't design OSX, they bought it.

Well, that price was kinda like buying back Steve, which was of course a very good idea. It meant reuniting both of his "children" back into one family. I'm more a Jobs fan overall than an Apple fan. I luck out having them both together these days. That said, you are right of course, Apple used NeXT as the foundation of OSX which in my opinion is the best OS around.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 45
I really like the OS, but I'd honestly be a little scared if I was an Apple user right now. Their security practices are mind boggling at best, and I would say the only reason they haven't been hit with a major attack is due to their incredibly small market share. They are making the same mistakes Microsoft made a few years ago, and the scary thing is most OSX users don't seem to either know or care.

The Dashboard fiasco made me wonder exactly what they're thinking over there when it comes to security. Completely inexcusable for a feature like that to make it into a release build. The latest trojan, while benign, looks even worse. They had a perfect example in what not to do with MS/IE, and they're making the exact same mistakes.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

You heard correctly.

What people don't seem to realize is that Apple had widgets in Mac OS before Konfabulator was even a company. They were called "Desk Accessories." In addition, widget like things have been around on Linux for a long time, even before Konfabulator was introduced. Stardock started it all, and everyone ripped them.

It's like people saying that Apple ripped off 'Watson' when they introduced Sherlock, when in fact Sherlock came first. The only thing was that Watson was originally introduced with more features than Sherlock, which Apple went ahead and updated to compete.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #23 of 45
That's largely my point: Very little in the software world is "original" in this day and age, especially in regards to OS's. They're all building off ideas that started 20-30 years ago. Until someone comes up with an entirely new view on how an OS should work that will continue.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

That's largely my point: Very little in the software world is "original" in this day and age, especially in regards to OS's. They're all building off ideas that started 20-30 years ago. Until someone comes up with an entirely new view on how an OS should work that will continue.

Agreed. The only thing I can't stand is that Microsoft talks about how innovative all their products are when they aren't. They're always behind the game. I especially didn't enjoy it when they introduced "their" MP3 portables that other companies (LG, etc.) made and called their products "innovative and something the industry has never seen before."

The spotlight search function that they are adding to the Windows Vista system, with the magnifying glass a straight copy of Apple's turned 180 degrees, was first created by Apple. However, according to Microsoft, it's something the world has never seen before. In my personal opinion, I feel that Apple is far less of an evil than Microsoft.

I mainly use the Mac OS X OS because I feel that it's built better and easier to use. I also love linux, what a great OS.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
Agreed. The only thing I can't stand is that Microsoft talks about how innovative all their products are when they aren't. They're always behind the game. I especially didn't enjoy it when they introduced "their" MP3 portables that other companies (LG, etc.) made and called their products "innovative and something the industry has never seen before."

You mean, exactly the same thing Apple did when they bought the Ipod idea from Tony Fadell & FUSE?
tongue.gif

In terms of being "innovative" (and I use that term lightly), Microsoft comes through in the areas important to me as a large-scale network administrator: the enterprise. They have done more to make my job easier than any other company.

That being said, I have a WinVista box for gaming/regular use, a MacMini for fun, and I usually have some flavor of Linux running in a VM shell. I enjoy them all for a multitude of reasons.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

You mean, exactly the same thing Apple did when they bought the Ipod idea from Tony Fadell & FUSE?
tongue.gif

In terms of being "innovative" (and I use that term lightly), Microsoft comes through in the areas important to me as a large-scale network administrator: the enterprise. They have done more to make my job easier than any other company.

That being said, I have a WinVista box for gaming/regular use, a MacMini for fun, and I usually have some flavor of Linux running in a VM shell. I enjoy them all for a multitude of reasons.

Well as I said, I think that Apple is lesser of an evil than Microsoft is. I never said anything about Apple not stealing any ideas, they're just as guilty as the rest of the companies in this world. Everyone copies everyone, that's the unfortunate truth about it. I can agree that if Microsoft's enterprise systems makes your job easier, it must be much better for you. But I'm just a personal consumer, so I prefer Apple.

I do/did the same thing as you. When I was in high school, I had to have a Winbox, cause of Everquest and the various other games that I had to play. That's how i got into computer customization and such. Fun stuff to be honest.

Now that I'm in college, I wanted a more stable environment, and went with a Powerbook. I still play DOTA (WC III) on various occasions when I have some time, and while the Powerbook doesn't run it as well as the beautiful Centrino M chip powered winlaptops, it gets me where I need it. I only wish it had better battery life
mad.gif
!! Going to have to get a MacBook pro soon...
icon10.gif

Note: what's going on with the editing function on Head-fi? Sometimes I edit my posts, it stays for a bit of time, and the reverts.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 45
What the heck is that second image? The power one? Looks like an "underclocking" page (for running cooler, as well as power consumption).

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #28 of 45
It's funny how this thread started off as a Windows Vista thread and morphed into a Mac OSX discussion.
confused.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #30 of 45
Holy crap.

This is going to be terrible. First we had minimal features, lots of bugs and no error recovery. Then we had more features, but the same old bugs. XP has too much eye candy and bloat, but the many errors it does have at least TRY to recover. Now, we are bound to have bugs, error recovery (which an OS should NOT NEED! Just fix the damned errors!) and so much eye candy, that it will KILL the memory, graphics card and processor. Not to mention the hard drive. An OS should put an extremely small load on the computer. The Apps should be what require the power.

Idiots. I really do not like Microsoft.

Dont get me started. I can go on for days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back