Windows Sound mixer options - Speakers vs. Digital Output
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chrisr34000

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have an Asus Xonar D2X which is connected via SPDIF out to the coax input of an AMP/DAC.

The windows sound mixers offers me following output options:

2021-03-31 16_08_16-Settings.jpg

I get sound playback over "Digital Output" as well as over "Speakers", however the sound is different. Over "Digital Output" I experience a much lower sound volume. Now I'm confused why I have two playback options and why they're so different. Do you know what's the difference between the two?

Also: What is "Asus Xonar D2X Converter"?

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Digital out sends the digital signal to the amp. So the soundcards DAC isn't in use, the amp does all the work.
Using the speaker option via optical or coax, the soundcards DSP comes into play before sending the signal.

Not sure what the converter option is, never had a Xonar

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 8
I have a Creative X Fi Elite Pro, and it offers things like X-Fi Crystalizer, which is some sort of upsampler, EAX for Reverb, CMSS-3D for Virtual surround.

Does the sound card have it's own control panel type app? This is mine as an example -

xf1.PNG
xf2.PNG
xf3.PNG

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Apr 2, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Yes, I have the Asus D2X Audio Center as software. But nothing is enabled in the settings. All effects are off.

2021-04-02 11_16_05-Settings.png
2021-04-02 11_16_43-Settings.png

I cannot understand why the volume is much higher when using "Speakers" and much lower when using "Digital Output". It's like some gain is applied when I use "Speakers". But why? I only SPDIF OUT and PCM enabled in the Audio Center Software.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Edit

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I cannot understand why the volume is much higher when using "Speakers" and much lower when using "Digital Output". It's like some gain is applied when I use "Speakers". But why? I only SPDIF OUT and PCM enabled in the Audio Center Software.

Maybe because of there are some op-amps in line-level output (speakers/headphones).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back