Windows Sonic vs Dolby Atmos & 7.1 virtualization in Creators Update
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #61 of 76
Tried Infinite Warfare on the Xbox tonight with Windows Sonic and it actually worked. Decent surround cues. It did not work before, they must have patched something (either the game or MS). I know this is the computer forum but, evidence this is being worked on at least.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #62 of 76
Interesting you say that i was playing bf4 with window sonic on and i swear it was working could be placebo, as i left the audio settings on from when i normally use my gsx 1000.

I wonder if dolby atmos headphone is working.

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #63 of 76
Played around with Dolby Atmos headphones, still useless outside games not supported by atmos. I have notice one thing which is atmos adds it's effect while being subtle. Windows sonic headphonse however just sounds like a echo chamber but somehow has slightly better positionals sounds without atmos subtle terrible midbass punch.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #64 of 76
Tried Infinite Warfare on the Xbox tonight with Windows Sonic and it actually worked. Decent surround cues. It did not work before, they must have patched something (either the game or MS). I know this is the computer forum but, evidence this is being worked on at least.
Hey,This is very interesting. And how to patch it?
At me for some reason all perfectly works in game Titanalfal 2.
But not for COD.It depends on the version?
Thanks in advance.
best regards Bestazy.

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #65 of 76
I have no idea. I just tried it one night and it magically worked. I assumed either MS or Infinity Ward did something to fix it.

I am using it over optical out, not sure that matters.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #66 of 76
I just gave this a shot and it really helped in games with a rather poor sound engine.

I read here that it limited you to 16-bit 48kHz, but my windows settings does say 24-bit 192kHz. Have they updated since or? I do notice a significant difference. Unless this may also be an effect of enabling surround sound as an enhancement as well?

May 19, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #67 of 76
I'm a little confused. I remember when I first tried Dolby Atmos for Headphones last summer it was immediately obvious it was doing some processing, even with 2ch music from iTunes. However, now I cannot tell if it's enabled or disabled with 2ch sources. Did they fix it so it just doesn't work when using stereo sources? You need to select 5.1 or 7.1 in the actual game for it to work?

The only way I can tell a difference is using the Dolby Access app and watching some of the demo videos.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #68 of 76
I'm a little confused. I remember when I first tried Dolby Atmos for Headphones last summer it was immediately obvious it was doing some processing, even with 2ch music from iTunes. However, now I cannot tell if it's enabled or disabled with 2ch sources. Did they fix it so it just doesn't work when using stereo sources? You need to select 5.1 or 7.1 in the actual game for it to work?

The only way I can tell a difference is using the Dolby Access app and watching some of the demo videos.
Bringing back an old post from the grave, but yes, I've played BFV with this setting on and it did help with the soundstage and location tracking.
I found that BFVs footsteps etc. impossible to track direction, but with this on and my Philips X2 headphones I have an easier time.
Takes me back to the Counterstrike beta days where you could track them very well.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #69 of 76
Bringing back an old post from the grave, but yes, I've played BFV with this setting on and it did help with the soundstage and location tracking.
I found that BFVs footsteps etc. impossible to track direction, but with this on and my Philips X2 headphones I have an easier time.
Takes me back to the Counterstrike beta days where you could track them very well.
I've actually been using DTS Sound Unbound with DTS Headphone:X for Spatial Audio in Windows and I think it is the best out of the 3 main ones on Windows 10, the other 2 being Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos. Tested the 3 using BF1 which is a marvel in audio engineering for games and tested it in lots of other games as well and DTS always came out on top. Windows Sonic sounds very hollow and tinny, bass is completely sucked out and it sounds like you're sitting in a bathroom as the reverb is just too much. Atmos is far better than Sonic and does soundstage a lot better than Sonic but it amplifies the bass and mid bass too much to the point where explosions in games just overpower way too much and the centre image isn't too accurate. DTS hardly changes the tuning of whatever headphones you use it with which is preferable, DTS has tuned over 500 headphones and if your headphone is supported you can select it in the program, it expands the soundstage but keeps it realistic and not hollow sounding, improves locational accuracy and does not alter the frequency response of your headphones. Oh and none of these options affect stereo content, if they receive a stereo signal they will not be activated so your music is unaffected which is preferable. They will only apply the spatial algorithm when they receive a surround signal from a game or movie.

I've been using DTS with my K712 Pro which has been tuned for the program and when playing games that have exceptional audio quality like BF1, I honestly feel as if the sound is coming through speakers sometimes, no doubt the already huge and out of your head sounding soundstage of the K712 Pro helps with that.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #70 of 76
I've actually been using DTS Sound Unbound with DTS Headphone:X for Spatial Audio in Windows and I think it is the best out of the 3 main ones on Windows 10, the other 2 being Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos. Tested the 3 using BF1 which is a marvel in audio engineering for games and tested it in lots of other games as well and DTS always came out on top. Windows Sonic sounds very hollow and tinny, bass is completely sucked out and it sounds like you're sitting in a bathroom as the reverb is just too much. Atmos is far better than Sonic and does soundstage a lot better than Sonic but it amplifies the bass and mid bass too much to the point where explosions in games just overpower way too much and the centre image isn't too accurate. DTS hardly changes the tuning of whatever headphones you use it with which is preferable, DTS has tuned over 500 headphones and if your headphone is supported you can select it in the program, it expands the soundstage but keeps it realistic and not hollow sounding, improves locational accuracy and does not alter the frequency response of your headphones. Oh and none of these options affect stereo content, if they receive a stereo signal they will not be activated so your music is unaffected which is preferable. They will only apply the spatial algorithm when they receive a surround signal from a game or movie.

I've been using DTS with my K712 Pro which has been tuned for the program and when playing games that have exceptional audio quality like BF1, I honestly feel as if the sound is coming through speakers sometimes, no doubt the already huge and out of your head sounding soundstage of the K712 Pro helps with that.
Thanks I'll have to give it a try.
I have a Sony setup with DTS for my home theatre.
STR DN1080 in a 3.0 speaker setup.
I prefer the DTS to Dolby.
I'll post back with my impressions.

Edit: Christ it's free?! Sweet 🤘🏾

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #71 of 76

Thanks for this info man!

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #72 of 76
Aww crap it's not free, but I'm using the trial and think I may purchase, it's $29 Canadian I think it said.
Side note off topic, grabbed a pair of Sennheiser HD25 during the sale! Missed it from Sennheiser's direct page with the chance of getting a limited edition model, but ordered via Amazon.ca. hoping the limited edition models end up in that channel also.
Will try them out with DTS.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #74 of 76
Aww crap it's not free, but I'm using the trial and think I may purchase, it's $29 Canadian I think it said.
Side note off topic, grabbed a pair of Sennheiser HD25 during the sale! Missed it from Sennheiser's direct page with the chance of getting a limited edition model, but ordered via Amazon.ca. hoping the limited edition models end up in that channel also.
Will try them out with DTS.
Yep it's a 30 day free trial IIRC. It's worth it though because of the headphone tuning, if your model is supported then set the program to that, if it isn't supported then no worries as you can use the Generic Over Ear profile, what it does is it neutralises your headphones before applying any spatial algorithm filters so the tonality of the headphones remain the same and is honestly indistinguishable from using the headphones in pure stereo. Also for the Spatial Mode setting use Balanced and not Spacious, Spacious just adds way too much reverb and makes voices sound so unnatural and distant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back