Windows Phone 7
Jun 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #16 of 125
ive used various phones and now switched to WP7. on the whole i would say its pretty nice for average to non power users. very simple, pleasant yet fun.
probably will be better after more updates to come.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #17 of 125

Quote:
Seems like Windows Phone 7 on a "pad" hardware platform could give Apple some competition.

It would and if they were smart that's exactly the direction they'd go. One of the reasons the iPad works so well as a tablet is because the OS suits the form-factor. Full versions of Windows and the like do not. I've heard a few designers and devs around the web comment on how they think, somewhere down the road, OS X and iOS are going to merge. They cite how OS X Lion is taking on so many of the features of iOS and iOS looking at some of the features traditionally in OS X. Personally, I think they're missing the bigger picture. Apple would be stupid not to blur the lines a little but I doubt they'd merge them completely. Desktop operating systems are crap on tablets. It's been shown again and again. Likewise, touch-screens on desktops are an equally bad idea. It's not a commonly-known term but there's a term in the UI/UX community for what happens after you spend a lot of time using a vertical touch screen. It's called "Gorilla Arm". I'll let you guess what it is.

Anyway, this is all lead up to why WP7 on tablets probably won't happen. Windows 8 pulls in a LOT  of WP7. More than OS X did of iOS. What's more, they've outright said W8 is going to be a tablet OS as well. Which is exactly what they've done in the past: Take Windows, put a bit of touch-mojo over it, and pretend your work is done instead of doing what Apple did and starting from scratch.

Personally, if I could have Windows two two things it'd be this:

1. Tweak WP7 so it could be a full, genuine tablet OS as well as a phone OS.
2. Fire Ballmer because the guy is an idiot and is going to destroy the company.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 125
Windows 8

Windows 7 + the metro theme from wp7. No need to turn wp7 into an OS to compete with IOS. There's a video of it it somewhere, just google it. The only reason desktop OS's really suck on tablets right now is because tablet hardware really sucks. There's a very large gap in performance, and until that's fixed, tablets will keep being novelties. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 125
off topic but what do you guys think of zune software? i have been using it as my media player for over a year now and i feel it is the perfect media player. all it needs is a good eq then were set.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 125

Quote:
I like android, ios, bb and wp7 but I have to say, after toying with a Focus for a week wp7 is my fav mobile os by far..it is so **** sweet imo

It still has some UI issues and could be more clear at times, but it's definitely a very slick OS. Microsoft has done a great job with it. I still think that all-around iOS is a better mobile OS but WP7 is coming on strong. Stronger than Android, in my opinion.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #30 of 125
Do you know how's the SQ of the Windows Phone? Specially on the LG Optimus 7.

I've read some reviews on GSM arena, but their audio reviews are too technical and I was wondering how they are musically speaking.

I'm considering getting one to use solely as a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back