Windows Phone 7
Sep 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #106 of 125
Probably a matter of short time before the they make a N8 phone with WP7. I loved my Nokia (this was before the iPhone). They seemed like quality handsets with great reception.

This Droid HTC Incredible I have now is just a f'up device.

I'm seriously weighing in the iPhone too, but I'm pretty happy right now without Apple bloat/ad-ware on my PC.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #107 of 125
Text and phone notifications are shown on the "first" page of HTC Mozart, that's before going to where the applications are.  Tap the power button to see that page when the screen is off.   

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #108 of 125

Quote:
Do you know how's the SQ of the Windows Phone? Specially on the LG Optimus 7.

I've read some reviews on GSM arena, but their audio reviews are too technical and I was wondering how they are musically speaking.

I'm considering getting one to use solely as a DAP.

I second this question, I can get one really cheap right now. I've also read that the LG has a Wolfson DAC but it doesn't improve SQ as much as it could because the phone still uses the integrated codec build into the Qualcomm CPU. If anyone could elaborate on this it would be much appreciated.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #109 of 125
I had my Nokia 710 for a month now. Love this phone. The SQ is not that good compared to listening from the ipod. Volume doesn't go very loud with 3rd party apps, speaker could be better too. But everything else has been great. Good clear reception, smooth, and a hell of a lot more responsive than my old Blackberry.

As others have mentioned, I really give props for Microsoft for developing a slick UI for WP7. I've tried iOS many times since when they first had it on the ipod touch but hated it so much. WP7 is the best mobile OS i've experienced so far. Easy and intuitive.

Hoping for an update for digital output soon. :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #111 of 125
I was going to wait for the Lumia 900, but I figured it would probably take a while before it gets released to my carrier (Tmobile). Even though the 710 is touted to be a entry level smart phone, it ajn't no slouch. It has many great advanced features and performs great for the price. I think the size is just perfect too, feels great in my hand.

I think Microsoft made a good choice paring up with Nokia, together I think they will have what it takes to compete with the iPhone given a few years as more apps develop. I kind of lost faith in Apple after the loss of Steve Jobs.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #112 of 125
I've got the Lumia 800 (Somewhat begrudgingly, I was hoping the N9 would launch in the UK), gorgeous piece of kit. I'm going to second SemiAudiophile in saying that the audio quality is sub-par, I'd love to see WP7 incorporate line-out via USB so I could hook it up to my E17, but that aside I can't really fault it, it meets my needs down to a tee :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #115 of 125

Quote:
I've got the Lumia 800 (Somewhat begrudgingly, I was hoping the N9 would launch in the UK), gorgeous piece of kit. I'm going to second SemiAudiophile in saying that the audio quality is sub-par, I'd love to see WP7 incorporate line-out via USB so I could hook it up to my E17, but that aside I can't really fault it, it meets my needs down to a tee :)

I have the N9 and at times it is painfully slow. Do you feel the same way about the Lumia?

May 18, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #116 of 125
I'd say that's a perfect summary right there. Young, but polished, and a couple of years down the line will be a real contender.

I do think they will keep pushing it. If you look at X-Box as an example of how they move into a new market - Microsoft don't seem too bothered about hurling dollars down a drain until they get a foothold. The mobile phones market is too big for them to give up on after a slow start and with them buying Skype and that talk of them buying Nokia (did that actually happen? Lost the thread of that story) I'd say they're here to stay.

The touch studio thing is quite exciting too I think.
well... They bought Nokia now! And for everyone who has a wp8, vote for my suggestion! http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/5940117-the-included-equalizer-is-extremely-powerful-with

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #118 of 125
Wow it's a ghost town in this thread. Even for ego-is-king, subjectivist-or-die audiophiles who'd naturally gravitate towards whatever shiny stuff Apple is dangling in their faces I'd have expected more in here haha.

It's probably a mistake since the rumours about the eventual availability of the Windows Phone M8 seem to be true, but I ordered a 930. Realistically speaking though it's not like I have a cornucopia of choices if I want a decent Windows Phone flagship. I've been using 8.1 on a 925 and a 1520 (WAY too big) for a while and I'm happy enough with the way the OS is going, though I think I speak for pretty much everyone not at Microsoft in that the pace still seems to be too little, too late (My daily drivers are Androids)... especially the still woeful state of Xbox Music.

Anyone tried nMedium Play? I'm considering giving it a try once my jRMC setup is back (I'd kind of gone off it with the direction their development seems to be taking and I'd uninstalled it from everything I have) to general working order.  nMedium is the dev's stock remote, but Play adds local handset playback if I'm not mistaken.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #119 of 125
Wow it's a ghost town in this thread. Even for ego-is-king, subjectivist-or-die audiophiles who'd naturally gravitate towards whatever shiny stuff Apple is dangling in their faces I'd have expected more in here haha.

It's probably a mistake since the rumours about the eventual availability of the Windows Phone M8 seem to be true, but I ordered a 930. Realistically speaking though it's not like I have a cornucopia of choices if I want a decent Windows Phone flagship. I've been using 8.1 on a 925 and a 1520 (WAY too big) for a while and I'm happy enough with the way the OS is going, though I think I speak for pretty much everyone not at Microsoft in that the pace still seems to be too little, too late (My daily drivers are Androids)... especially the still woeful state of Xbox Music.

Anyone tried nMedium Play? I'm considering giving it a try once my jRMC setup is back (I'd kind of gone off it with the direction their development seems to be taking and I'd uninstalled it from everything I have) to general working order.  nMedium is the dev's stock remote, but Play adds local handset playback if I'm not mistaken.
lol I'm using the Lumia 925 with 8.1 installed... No idea what nmedium play is. I dont have any computer that is new enough to plug my Lumia into... As in windows XP sp2... All I know is that Nokia mixradio is the best streaming service. :D

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #120 of 125
It's a third party remote app for j.River Media Center. I think a lot of Head-Fi users will probably be familiar with jRMC. 

j.River themselves do Gizmo, a super ugly and basic Android app as their first-party remote app which has local playback - I used to use it to access my music collection from my phones. I missed having the same thing on WP for a while, but I moved back to Android pretty much full-time some time ago, and only buy/use WP's now to keep up to date. And in terms of streaming my library, I've waved a white flag and thrown up my music library onto Google Music and Match.

I also gave up on jRMC for the development reason I mentioned above - instead of supporting their loyal Windows users properly and moving onto the next-gen W8 stuff, they took the route just to lazily rehash what they were doing, porting it and getting money off OS X users. And even on the Gizmo side not really bother making any changes since the days I was rocking ICS on my Androids.

I was wondering if anyone was using it through WP with nMedium Play and if so what their experiences were. Spotify is still pretty bad on WP, and XBox Music matching is pretty hopeless if my library experiences are anything to go by... so basically, Plex and jRMC/nMedium seem to be the only options available for WP users who want to stream their own libraries instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back