Windows or OSX?
Apr 11, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #31 of 84
Windows XP. It's not hard at all to get bit perfect output, and there's endless resources and software available. OSX isn't a bad choice either, I just play too many games to consider switching to OSX.

Windows Vista, well, erm, avoid it if possible. Some say it's great or not too bad, I think it's a big waste of resources for nothing.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #32 of 84
I don't know about Linux. Every few months I get curious and install Linux just to see for myself all the improvements over OS X Linux fans tell me exist. And every time I have the same experience: Linux configures my monitor incorrectly, causing extremely low resolution and strange colors on my 17" screen, inability to rip and play basic formats out of the box, and overall slowness compared to OS X. The first two issues are relatively easy to fix, simply because I've done them so many times. Google up some xorg.conf code, copy and paste it in, restart X, and the monitor works. Install flac, add the other software repositories, install lame, reconfigure gstreamer, and the second is fixed. However, I don't think it's fixable that clicking Konquerer creates a 7 second delay in opening a window that is unresponsive for a good 4 seconds, or that when I move the mouse pointer, a window, or anything else, that the movement is extremely choppy. I'm sure there's some fix, but by that time I'm thinking, "Why did I go to all this trouble when I could just install OS X and have a working system in 15 minutes that automatically connects to my printers, camera, and iPod, and runs twice as fast with absolutely no work from me?" I don't know what your sister's computer's problem was, but my Mac as always "just worked."

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #33 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say, my experience with Macs has been quite the opposite. I steered my sister towards getting a Macbook because I thought that even though I can't stand the OS myself, I wouldn't have to deal with it because Macs "just work," right?

Apparently not. Networking with that thing has been a hassle, as it doesn't want to play well with the other computers on the network and from time to time it randomly loses wireless capability and need to be rebooted. Printing with that thing has been a nightmare, as Apple apparently didn't see fit to include drivers for printers that even Ubuntu has. Getting it to play DivX has been and continues to be a very frustrating experience, because new problems keep popping up. And it runs painfully slow - I don't know what my sister did to it to make it like that, but I've seen OSX go faster on 400 MHz G3.

That's a very brief summary of some of the problems I've had with that machine. Overall, I can't say that OSX has been any easier to set up or maintain than Windows XP or Ubuntu, and it irritates the hell out of me when I see people pushing that "just works" claim.

i have a friend with a g4 that has similar problems but the new intel
macbooks and macbook pro just works and fast.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #34 of 84
Another vote for Linux.
-- No DRM woes for CD rippers; no Sony rootkit.
-- Although most distros don't come with propriety codecs (mp3, wma), it is very easy to install them.
-- A music organiser that kicks serious butt: AmaroK
-- Torrent clients as good as any platform.

Disadvantages:
-- Does not support iTunes music store (correct me if I'm wrong)
-- May not play DRMed files you bought.
-- Modern distros usually work out of the box, but still require fine tuning to achieve the best effect.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't be able to tell the difference if Microsoft keeps stealing UI ideas from Apple.
wink.gif

Sort of like Apple stole the gadgets idea from Stardock? The gadgets sidebar has been available on Windows long before Apple added it to a BSD OS. Apple bought a license to a Unix OS so how is that being unique and innovative in any way?

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #37 of 84
i like the one that shows the video of all the inovative ideas in vista
and then they show osx already has that or very comparble to that
it was on gizmodo.com a while back.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With OSX you'll be paying for the next point-release a year later

Windows NT based OSes Windows 2000 (5.0), XP (5.1), 2003 (5.2), and XP64 (5.3) are all point releases. Sure they're not on the same upgrade path, but you have to pay to go 2000 -> 2003.

The only reason OS X 10.2-5 are 'point' releases is because Apple is trying to keep the X in OS X relevant for a while longer. It is pronounced OS Ten, after all.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #39 of 84
another note look at the price differntial on the upgrade to operating
system mac is cheaper especially if you have more computers in your
home.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #40 of 84
2000 to 2003 was not a point release. Apple Point Releases are almost just bug fixes. 2000 to 2003 had a series of major kernel, permission, and interface upgrades.

No one's mentioned the most important point: You cannot upgrade a Mac. Period. I made my last Desktop last 6 years while never seeming slow compared to the latest machines. This is impossible with a Mac.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #42 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows for games and audio... osx for pretty much anything else.

Windows for games, audio, video (3d work, editing, post processing), office etc.

OSX for...ohm....well...photoshopping?

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 84
i used to believe that for 6 years when i went through 3pc's upgraded
from 95to 98 to me(the worst) then to xp (the best) and then tried
osx will not go back to windows try it before condeming it.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple Point Releases are almost just bug fixes.

Version History of OSX - You can click on each link for each individual OS release and see the 'bug fixes' in your words.

Quote:

No one's mentioned the most important point: You cannot upgrade a Mac. Period. I made my last Desktop last 6 years while never seeming slow compared to the latest machines. This is impossible with a Mac.

The only thing you can't upgrade in an iMac and Mac Mini are their graphics subsystems. You can upgrade any component of the Mac Pros. In line with most laptops, you can't upgrade Apple's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back