Windows Media Player ate my music!
Mar 22, 2005 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
Help!
Not sure if this is the right forum...but...
I have a uberized collection of music that I set up to play in foobar.
For reasons not exactly clear to me, I downloaded WMP 10 and it somehow eecame the default player....and now...it refuses to play any music. Even when I select "open in foobar" it still will not paly.
How can I uninstall the WMP player? If this can't be done, how do I restore all music to default to foobar and most important of all...to actually play the music?

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG
Help!
Not sure if this is the right forum...but...
I have a uberized collection of music that I set up to play in foobar.
For reasons not exactly clear to me, I downloaded WMP 10 and it somehow eecame the default player....and now...it refuses to play any music. Even when I select "open in foobar" it still will not paly.
How can I uninstall the WMP player? If this can't be done, how do I restore all music to default to foobar and most important of all...to actually play the music?

If you have Windows XP the best way it's to restore the system to a point of restauration previous to the install of wma.
Now I'm at a computer with w2000 so i cannot tell you the exact place in the menu but it's in the tecnnical asistance of the Start menu. (if i remember well).

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 20
Uncheck all the file extensions in WMP.

Make sure they are all checked with foobar.

Should work.

EDIT: If you really want to uninstall WMP you might want to use xplite, no need to do that though imo.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 20
Ok.
I unchecked all of the WMP extensions and have restored foobar as default player.
But!....still won't play play music.
The palylist tracks all show and appear ready to go
WMP did something to keep tracks from playing.
This is the foobar response:

INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\Documents and Settings\Tony Galvan\My Documents\My Music\Uberized Music\The Beatles\The Beatles - 1968 - The White Album (Disc 1)\01 - Back in the U.S.S.R..mp3" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\Documents and Settings\Tony Galvan\My Documents\My Music\Uberized Music\The Beatles\The Beatles - 1968 - The White Album (Disc 1)\01 - Back in the U.S.S.R..mp3" (0)
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\Documents and Settings\Tony Galvan\My Documents\My Music\Uberized Music\The Beatles\The Beatles - 1968 - The White Album (Disc 1)\17 - Julia.mp3" (0)
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\Documents and Settings\Tony Galvan\My Documents\My Music\Uberized Music\The Beatles\The Beatles - 1968 - The White Album (Disc 1)\17 - Julia.mp3" (0)

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :

Are your files there? Perhaps they are moved by wm10.
search for your mp3 in the file explorer.

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 20
yes the files are there on foobar. Or I should say that the tracks are listed in descending order as they should be.
When I hit the "play" button it gives me above response.

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 20
Make sure that the files you're trying to play are in the directory foobar is looking in, and make sure that they are of a format that foobar supports.

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 20
Assuming you are not a noob at this entire thing, my bet would be WMP corrupted the ID3 tags of the Mp3 and it needs to be cleaned up with a decent id3 tool.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG
yes the files are there on foobar. Or I should say that the tracks are listed in descending order as they should be.
When I hit the "play" button it gives me above response.

Not in foobar library they have to be in the directory. (With file explorer).

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Error messages like that, I receive when the marker on the playlist no longer points to a valid file location. Open up the folder in Windows Explorer as you normally would and drag them once again into Foobar2k.

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 20
The easiest to check is to use explorer to actually navigate to the file in the folder hierarchy and double click.

I have been using WMP, winamp, foobar, and JRMC side by side for some years now and never had a problem. WMP does not stop anything as far as I know.

Cheers

Thomas

Mar 22, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Windows Media has an option to copy protect music. Perhaps you turned it on rendering your tunes unplayable elsewhere? I think you can just undo it.

-d

I think...that may be it.
But how do I disable?
I went to WMP>tools>options ...but couldn't find "copy protect" to disable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back