Windows Media Lossless-Any Good?
Sep 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

classicalman114

New Head-Fier
When ripping CDs on Windows Media Player, one of the options is to rip the music in WMA Lossless format. What is truly superior out of the lossless formats Windows Media Player supports: WAV and WMA Lossless?

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 11
WMA Lossless will be the exact same information as the WAV, but smaller. You should probably convert to a more widely used lossless format like FLAC, though. Either WMA Lossless or WAV can be converted without loss.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 11
I wouldn't really expect it to, being that .wav does not use lossless compression :p

To op: convert to any lossless type you want, if something's incompatible with it later down the road, you can always convert to another compression scheme.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
When ripping CDs on Windows Media Player, one of the options is to rip the music in WMA Lossless format. What is truly superior out of the lossless formats Windows Media Player supports: WAV and WMA Lossless?

My answer is do not use either of them for your lossless format.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 11
With a 500 GB internal drive in my laptop and another terabyte externally, I just rip everything as WAV and do the conversion later. Sure, its gigabytes of music, but I find it the easiest way personally.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
With a 500 GB internal drive in my laptop and another terabyte externally, I just rip everything as WAV and do the conversion later. Sure, its gigabytes of music, but I find it the easiest way personally.

The problem is meta-data.

Native WAV does not have any means of saving meta-data, and trying to solve the problem with 3rd party specialized software is just hassle.

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Looking at that table posted earlier, FLAC looks like the way to go.
Foobar is free is it not? and will rip cds into FLAC?
I haven't used it....yet (waiting till I get my own computer, rather than using the parents) so I'm not sure, IIRC it does though

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for that ChipnDalebowl, I'll try remember that When I finally get my own computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back