Windows Media 9 VBR!!
Oct 30, 2002 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
what do you think of the new WMA format in Variable bit rate compared to EAC and LAME? ??

it has the option for lossless compression (400kbs-750?) or you can choose a lot of other stuff..

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 6
I have to admit...the addition of the variable and lossless WMA makes me seriously consider getting a Nomad 3 if it supports it (or if Creative comes out with a firmware supporting it).

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 6
You can download the free Windows Media Encoder here.

I've been using this for work to compress audio files. It's a horrible interface that is needlessly complicated, IMO. But it's all we have
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 6
they just came out with a new beta version for winxp i think that has it too.. i just DLED it so i dont have to use that crazy encoder...

so far so good....

i havent tested yet enough to see which one is better in terms of sound..

but the wma is much more reliable on my system (eac doesnt namne right half the time, tracks skip or have periods of silence/ stop, etc)... and wma has lossless.

so far i like the wma better, but time will tell.

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 6
wow, congratulations microsoft! you've come up with something that mp3 users have had for five years!

i haven't listened to wma in a while, but when i did boy did it suck. with microsoft's track record for useless programming changes (r.i.p. windows media player 6.4), i think i'll stick with --alt-preset extreme or monkey's audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back