Windows mail help needed ...
May 16, 2008 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

epaludo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey folks,
I want to configure windows mail in my laptop. I'm using Vista and the email account i wanna add to windows mail is a gmail account.
Well i was reading about how to configure and it's actually pretty easy. The question i have is how do i make sure i'll keep my inbox into the gmail server as redundancy? I mean i do want to access my inbox in windows mail but don't delete anything from the gmail server so i can still access the content of it even when not on my laptop.
Any help will be much appreciated ...

May 16, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Gmail saves all your messages until you physically remove them from the system or you miraculously use up all of your storage on their servers. I just have gmail forward every message to my email account so I can read them on my laptop.

May 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, just realized that IMAP stands for Internet Message/Mail Access Protocol. It doesn't download the content of my account inbox to my computer. It access and display the information. It'll only download the email you select.

Someone correct me if i get it wrong ...

May 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Gmail supports two email protocols, POP3 and IMAP.

POP3 downloads all the email locally, then you can manage it offline. With POP3, your email client will have a setting that you switch on to either delete the email after downloading (default behavior in Outlook) or leave it on the server.

IMAP just downloads the email headers, then when you try to access an email, it downloads it from gmail's servers. I believe the email will stay on gmail's servers unless you delete the email in Outlook then sync up with gmail's servers.

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back