Windows iTunes sound quality tip
Oct 22, 2003 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Saw this on slashdot:

Be sure to check out your settings in the QuickTime control panel. If the audio out is set to DirectSound, the audio quality will probably be a bit muddy. Change it to WaveOut and it should sound as good as WinAmp.

When I changed it, I did hear a difference.

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Saw this on slashdot:

Be sure to check out your settings in the QuickTime control panel. If the audio out is set to DirectSound, the audio quality will probably be a bit muddy. Change it to WaveOut and it should sound as good as WinAmp.

When I changed it, I did hear a difference.

Thanks MacDef! Quicktime has never played sound correctly on this PC before making this change.

I found the setting on the QuickTime player :
Edit -> Preferences -> QuickTime Preferences -> SoundOut -> WaveOut: Windows preferred device

Oct 22, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the tipEarwax,...I've looked at just that spot on the Quicktime player (V6.4) and I don't get the options you've listed.

Just a single option is available, to select the kind of internet connection (and the speed of the connection is selected from a second drop down box - But that's it, no other tabs to choose Sound Out options. Perhaps these only come with an upgraded Quicktime ? (rarely have used this software).

I'll play with it later and see what's up..., I didn't get the answer from your tip but it saved me a lot just knowing I'm looking in the right place and that my software is different, thanks. M.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Wow, the bass is more defined and the Treble lightens up and has definition now, thanks for the tip
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Weird. Usually there's no difference between Directsound and MME/Waveout. Is there something strange w/ Quicktime?

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Change it to WaveOut and it should sound as good as WinAmp

.....i never noticed how muffled winamp sounds untill i got foobar..

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Weird. Usually there's no difference between Directsound and MME/Waveout. Is there something strange w/ Quicktime?

maybe it's the fact quicktime is extremely limited, is slow as a donkey hauling 'donkey', and it just generally sucks, so I never use it
biggrin.gif
, it's nice that they added video options to Winamp 2.91 from 3

Oct 23, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Awesome tip MacDEF!

On some people's machine, it may not make as much of a difference.. it is soundcard dependent. I think it has a lot to do with how the sound card deal with DirectSound streams versus the waveout mapper...

The wave mapper is always a more trustworthy source than Directsound when it comes to music.

However, great tip, I couldn't even find the option before.. I didn't know they were directly tied in to each other in such a way.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Yep, I didn't even have this option...defaulted to waveout and that was the only choice available.

Must be soundcard dependent? I'm on a thinkpad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back