Windows install probs,help!
Oct 20, 2002 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

insanefred

100+ Head-Fier
OK, having problems getting Win98 (first release) installed on a computer. I install, reboot a couple of times, happy enough, then it starts setting up PnP stuff. Machine locks up, I reboot, get 'Invalid system disk'. Boot from Win98 CD into DOS, and all my file names have been messed up, upper case, lower case, random letter substitutions, the works. Scandisk reveals lots of horrible stuff (FAT problems, directories all over the place, free space, crosslinks) which wasn't there before I rebooted. The same happens after reformatting. OK, the question is... is this a dodgy hard drive, some sort of lovely virus that F-prot didn't spot, ley lines or my inherent ability to break computers? Please help! Computer problems must be a leading cause of depression and suicide.
TIA
Andrew

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Thirded. And just to be sure... This is an official copy of Win 98? Have you formatted the disk clean before doing the install?

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Pull all your devices, and then let win98 set them up one at a time, allways using the latest drivers.

I had a similar problem with 98SE, I pulled my SB Live! and my NIC and installed them separetly and it worked just fine after that.

Also make sure the HD isn't overheating.

Always best to rule out anything else before going out and buying a new HD. What brand is it, btw?

Oct 20, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 7
I agree with the Capt.
Install Win98 with only the video card in the PC.
Then install the other cards one at a time making sure it works before going to the next.
If you still get the garbled HD then I would replace that.
BTW, did you just reformat the drive or did you use FDISK and really wipe the drive clean? (new MBR)

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 7
OK, it's a rather old 4GB HD which was Fdisked and formatted, and it is a legit Win98. I've got another (200Mb!) HD I'll swap in and try. It'd be great to remove all extraneous bits, but this is one of those mobos with everthing under the sun onboard, so I'll try disabling them in the BIOS. Thanks for the hints, guys!
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back