Windows EQ?
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xxicrimsonixx

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am new to Windows EQ settings. I was wondering what the best software was to get some good results?

Being able to quickly turn on and off the different EQ settings, as well as having multiple profiles is ideal.

Thank you.

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 18
If you're after a system-wide equalizer then EqualizerAPO could be your choice.
And @xxicrimsonixx , once you have Equalizer APO, download Mega Switcher which is a new GUI for Equalizer APO, made for listening sessions and packed with 15.000 headphone EQ presets (including the best ones : Oratory, crinacle, etc.) matching various target curves (Harman, Optimum HiFi and several others). You're welcome. :wink:

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 18
Any alternative to EqualizerAPO ? It doesnt work with my FiiO dac. Thank you

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 18
Hmm... have you some info why it don't work?

Remember that ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive and WDM/KS modes bypasses APO layer ... you need to use Voicemeeter (I prefer Banana version) as an endpoint device for EqualizerAPO with these driver modes.

Thank you for reply. I have tried few times to install Equalizer APO and also added successfully the Peace UI to it and it worked. The issue is with my dac. The EQ itself is working but i have problem with the sound.

1. I cannot select the highest quality 32bit/784khz
2. Then there is no sound or if i restart there is sound but its cutting off every few seconds like it tries to reconnect or something.

You wrote to bypass the APO layer ... to use Voicemeeter, so do I have to use all 3 APO, Peace, Voicemeeter software?

Will I be still able to use the highest settings on the dac?

Thank you

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 18

1. I cannot select the highest quality 32bit/784khz
2. Then there is no sound or if i restart there is sound but its cutting off every few seconds like it tries to reconnect or something.

You wrote to bypass the APO layer ... to use Voicemeeter, so do I have to use all 3 APO, Peace, Voicemeeter software?

Will I be still able to use the highest settings on the dac?

#1 ... you mean 768kHz/32-bit. Is this an issue only when EqualizerAPO is in use? IIRC, EqualizerAPO does not have limit for sample rate but I have not tested this because of 192kHz/24-bit is enough for me.

#2 EqualizerAPO works in (Windows default) WASAPI Shared mode drivers only (this incl. DirectSound). Did your install native drivers from FiiO downloads?
Usually root for cutting sound is too short (small) playback buffer but may also be driver related. Does EqualizerAPO work @768/32 after restarting the PC?

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 18
It was the driver issue !!!!

When I got the dac and plugged it in it was working just fine no issue at all. It didnt even cross my mind to look for the driver and to install it.
So, I installed the driver from FiiO website and now the APO is working properly. No issues at all and the quality is all the way up to 384khz/32-bit.

I had to use EQ on software such VLC (for movies) or AIMP (music player) to get the right sound. Now, I dont need it anymore. They opened my D7200 little bit and I assume I achieve a perfect sound from them (They are slightly dark without EQ). Now the sound is just excellent from the whole system.... it made my day !!!

1635084017561.png

Well happy with the results... THANK YOU MY FRIEND :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 18
I am going to try equalizer APO

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 18
I am going to try equalizer APO
If you like something simpler than Peace I think PC Equalizer Free is a good option. It also overwrites config.txt from EqualizerAPO.
I don't like to insist, but when I read something like "if you like something simpler than Peace", I have to say this.
Peace and PC Equalizer Free were not designed with headphones and listening sessions in mind.
Mega Switcher is simpler, and it includes 15.000 headphone presets for various target curves (including Oratory1990 and AutoEQ). Many of them are exclusive to the app.
For people with more than one pair of headphones, this should be a no-brainer. 🤷‍♂️:wink:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 18
Mega Switcher is simpler, and it includes 15.000 headphone presets for various target curves (including Oratory1990 and AutoEQ). Many of them are exclusive to the app.
For people with more than one pair of headphones, this should be a no-brainer. 🤷‍♂️:wink:
I will download MegaSwitcher later and try already bookmarked :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back