windows email clients
Sep 15, 2003 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
I don't like MS Outlook for plainly obvious reasons (if you don't know why, please stay out of this thread completely).

I've been using Eudora for a while but there are a few things that irk me and it's not configurable in the ways I thought it would be.

I decided to try Pegasus today for the first time in ages and I was rather disappointed. The interface is not at all likable to me for it to be so popular.

So what else should I be looking at? Must work in Windows 2000, must have an actual graphical user interface.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
all hardcore users i know swear by the bat.

i have never actually tried it though. i'm too lazy to switch from oe.

I just downloaded that one. It's simplified (which is usually a good thing by me). I'm also looking at Thunderbird and Poco now.

What we need is Foomail.

Sep 15, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 16
So far, here are my thoughts:

Eudora - the standard, but not really up to date and a little quirky in some areas
Pegasus - very quirky interface but seemingly feature-loaded
The Bat - simple interface, easy encryption options
Pico - good for nostalgia, but that's about it
Thunderbird - excellent interface but may require a few plug-ins to catch up featurewise
Poco - also a slick interface, not sure what it offers over Thunderbird

Sep 15, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 16
Been using PocoMail for about 2 years, iirc. I can't find anything that works better than it for handling large amounts of email. I just paid for the upgrade to version 3, which I have been using the version version of for a few months, and it is even better than version 2. It is fast, configurable, has powerful filters, and even a scripting ability which I haven't gotten around to using yet. And it even stores its mailboxes in the standard Unix mailbox format, making archiving mail even easier.

Sep 16, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 16
I too am looking for a simple e-mail client. I used to have an early version of Eudora which I have to give up because it doesn't support multiple e-mail acounts. I'm not too happy with the interface of the current version of Eudora.

Pegasus has a lot of features that I never use, and yes the interface is geeky -- but at least it is free and doesn't shove ads on you.

I think I'll switch to Thunderbird when it goes through a few more beta cycles.

The Bat does expire after the 30-day trial unless you pay, right?

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 16
I use Mozilla for my mail. Admittedly, I don't do too much with extra features, but I don't regret switching from Outlook or OE. Thunderbird is the standalone, but I think you can configure Mozilla to just be a mail client - add "-mail" to the command line to open it directly.

Sep 16, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 16
I used to use Forte Agent as my email program, mainly because I used USENET (can't anymore on campus) and I enjoy plain text only. Now, without USENET, I use Eudora, but I don't really like its HTML capability. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fairly simple, preferably free or at least cheap, easy to use, GUI email app that has tons of customization and power and flexibility like Agent?

Sep 16, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bralack42
I used to use Forte Agent as my email program, mainly because I used USENET (can't anymore on campus) and I enjoy plain text only. Now, without USENET, I use Eudora, but I don't really like its HTML capability. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fairly simple, preferably free or at least cheap, easy to use, GUI email app that has tons of customization and power and flexibility like Agent?

PocoMail is great. It does have HTML mail capability, as do most graphical email programs. But it is very customizable and very flexible. I find it great for managing mailing lists, too. It can thread mailing list messages like in Usenet which makes reading them easier. It has gotten more expensive lately, $35 for the latest versions which also has a nearly useless Usenet capablity too, but it is still well worth it. You can try it for 45 days before having to register. And it's HTML capability uses a proprietary HTML renderer, unlike Eudora which uses Internet Exploder, so it is immune to pretty much all viruses and can also disable image downloading in HTML email to prevent spammers from being able to check if you recieved their email.

Sep 16, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 16
So far, I'm liking Thunderbird best (which prob isn't surprising since I'm such a Firebird browser fan). The new Mosaic suite is really shaping up nicely.

If anyone else is using Thunderbird, I could use some help with how to set up LDAP, though.

Sep 16, 2003 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 16
I've just downloaded Thunderbird and I'm giving it a shot -- a pleasure to use, compared to Pegasus. With a little work I've transfered my Pegasus mailboxes to Thunderbird. I think I can retire Pegasus now.

The only down side that I've found so far is that it is one big memory hog -- but, as they say, it is still alpha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back