Windows "Digital CD Playback"
Aug 30, 2005 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sedminusn

Head-Fier
I'm right in the middle of ripping/encoding my collection, and I just ran across something curious. One of the CDs that I was trying to rip was copy protected and when I would put it in the CD-ROM drive, it would autoplay some program that wanted to download a "digital key" to allow me access to the CD. I knew this particular CD could be ripped/played in a CD-ROM because I'd done it before in a non-Windows OS (FreeBSD). In trying to circumvent the copy protection, I ran across an option in the properties of my CD-ROM under the Windows Device Manager called "Digital CD Playback." When I initially looked at it, it was checked. I unchecked it and was able to rip/play my copy protected CD without any problem. My question is: what exactly does this option do under the hood? And could it have affected my earlier rips?

Aug 30, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 3
I believe it does not affect the rip. digital CD playback is just allowing playing CD without the little cable between soundcard and CD-ROM.
try press and hold "shift" key when inserting CD, that will disable autoplay of that program.

Aug 30, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
try press and hold "shift" key when inserting CD, that will disable autoplay of that program.

I tried that when I still had that digital playback box checked, but it didn't matter. Yes, it wouldn't run the autoplay program, but EAC would still rip gibberish. Once I unchecked that magical box, though, the autoplay quit and I was able to rip away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back