Windows 7 Volume
Mar 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Iorek

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I was hoping people could give me some insight as to how they manage their software volumes inside of Windows, particularly Windows 7.

I've read that it's best to keep digital volumes at 100% or as close to 100% as possible; however, I find that if I do that I have to keep the external volume controls (DACmini CX and Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 in this case) near minimum in order to maintain comfortable listening levels. I'm currently listening to the Sennheiser HD800 out of the CX, and with the Windows volume at 100%, anything over 9 o'clock is "loud" to me. That said, in the 6moons review of the DACmini, the reviewer stated that most people would use 12-2:30 on the volume pot for the HD800. 12 o'clock is definitely approaching ear-damaging levels for me.

I can't help but feel that I have something mis-configured. I use foobar2000, typically with Direct Sound out; however, the result is the same if I use ASIO. The PC is connected to the DACmini via USB, and I'm using the RCA (fixed level) line out for the ProMedia speakers, so the DAC shouldn't be effecting the speakers at all.

I do have a Creative X-Fi Ti card in the case, but I have it disabled. The drivers for it are installed however.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5
On my Asus Eee PC 1201N, I have the Realtek HD Audio and the HDMI audio disabled. My only audio device is my uDAC which I have the out put set to 100% volume, but since the uDAC has it's own volume, it doesn't even matter. On the rear of my uDAC via RCA, I have a 2.1 speaker set up connected and its volume is set to just over 50%. When my uDAC's volume is turned up to anything past 12 o'clock, it's very loud. On Foobar2K ( with WASAPI ), it's volume is also set to 100%.

1201N vol.: 0 
Foobar2K vol.: 100%
uDAC vol.: mostly around 30%
2.1 speaker vol: 50%

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just put everything to 100%, and only use my uDAC's volume to adjust it all..

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Different Windows versions have different volume handling schemes. In the case of Windows 7, the volume should be set at 100% in order to have unattenuated digital output to avoid issues such as loss of dynamic range.

Volume is meant to be adjusted at the end of the chain, never at the source.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 5
Since Windows 7's (or foobar's) volume control works in 32bit FP, the difference shouldn't really be audible. So it's not a big problem if you must use it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back