Windows 7 - USB PnP Device w/ASIO Issues
Jun 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dat_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I am having issues with my new setup. Here is the setup:

Compaq Laptop (running Windows 7) -> USB -> Cryoparts USB-to-SPDIF Converter-> Cambridge DacMagic (via Coax) -> AudioTailor Jade.

I am using Foobar2000 and have ASIO4ALL installed. When I go into the ASIO Virtual Device Editor, my USB PnP Device shows up and it is showing 8 Channels for some reason. 3-8 are set to <none>. 1=Left, 2=Right. I try to play a test signal and it doesn't play anything. It also does not play any songs through my headphones.

I have tried skipping the Cryoparts device and going straight USB into the DacMagic and I get the exact same result. So this leads me to believe there is something wrong with the way I am configuring it to work on my laptop or Windows 7 doesn't have the proper drivers to do this.

Any ideas? I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Any particular reason you are using ASIO on W7? I am using Wasapi (v 2.1) with excellent results. You can download the component from the main foobar2000 page. Vista and Windows 7 both support Wasapi. I only use ASIO in XP.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 4
The only reason was that I was using ASIO on my Vista box and it actually sounded pretty good.

I tried WASAPI on my Windows 7 and I get the same results. WASAPI works through my laptop speakers but when I set it to the USB PnP device it doesn't seem to work.

I tried going through the Cryoparts unit and then directly to the DacMagic and it didn't work with either. I tested the Amplifier with a different source and then I tested my DacMagic going through my Compass and both work fine. It MUST be the USB on my laptop or Windows 7.

I am open to other ideas before I blow away Win 7 and go back to Vista.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 4
I blew away Win 7 and am now back on Vista running WASAPI in Foobar2k and it works great. A lot of work but now I get to listen to how amazing my "Downstairs Setup" is. \m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back