Windows 7 Low Volume?
Sep 13, 2011 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently moved from Windows XP to Windows 7, and while generally pleased with the sound I'm getting, I'm a little annoyed by the fact that Win7 runs considerably quieter than XP. On XP I had my Little Dot I+ set at about 20-25, but on Win 7 I have it set to 50-60. Is there a reason for this, and it is possible to bring the volume up without destroying sound quality?

A little extra info: I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card, and I do have the system volume set to 100%.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Historically, Windows has a "Master" volume, plus mixer volume controls (e.g., CD, Wave, mic, etc.)  Make sure both are set to 100%.  In Win 7 , hover over the speaker icon in the tray, click it to bring up the volume control, and then click "Mixer".  Make sure all relevant items are set to 100%.

Also, right click the speaker icon, click Playback devices, double click your SB Audigy 2 device, then click Levels tab, then click Balance button, and make sure L & R are both 100%.

If that doesn't help, then at least we know these software settings aren't part of the problem.

David

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Tried all that, didn't fix it.

It just seems weird to me that this is so much quieter than XP.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Tried all that, didn't fix it.

It just seems weird to me that this is so much quieter than XP.

I have the same card and windows 7.  Windows is not quieter than XP from my experience.  I do note that Media Center's volume is lower, that's the application not windows itself.  I would look through you mixer settings and even your speaker volume to make sure one of your inputs is not too low. 

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I have the same card and windows 7.  Windows is not quieter than XP from my experience.  I do note that Media Center's volume is lower, that's the application not windows itself.  I would look through you mixer settings and even your speaker volume to make sure one of your inputs is not too low. 

The mixer volume is set to 100%, as are the volumes in the "Levels" menu, and the balance on each channel for each is set to 100%.

Quote:

Drivers are up to date.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Welp, found the problem. For whatever reason, running through ASIO is the problem, which is weird since I had no such problem with XP and ASIO4ALL. Anyone know how to bring volume up in ASIO?

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Welp, found the problem. For whatever reason, running through ASIO is the problem, which is weird since I had no such problem with XP and ASIO4ALL. Anyone know how to bring volume up in ASIO?

Use WASAPI? It was designed to make use of the way Vista and 7 handle audio streams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back