Windows 7 Foobar2000 Information
May 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

HeadDoc

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I am using Windows 7 on a few of my laptops and am using Foobar2000 for playback.

So far, I have found that WASAPI output to my USB DAC/Amp (iBasso D10) does NOT work.

Kernel Streaming does work (no 24bit output for my vinyl rips)
DS does work (heavy use of computer introduces clicks and other noises into playback)
ASIO is recognized in the output list, but I have not tried it because KS is working for me, so it saved some setup time (never used ASIO)

Does anybody know about playback in Windows 7? output options and new .dll files? Any recommendations at all? I am just fishing for developments.

I also use Electri-Q VST plugin and George Yohng's VST wrapper to remove a few peaks from my headphones and IEMs (HD650s and Westone 3s). Winamp_spam.dll works too for my lycosa keyboard touchpad controls.

Hope that helps and I hope to hear from somebody who understands Windows 7 audio playback (why does WASAPI not work? What is the best output option?)

May 11, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 25
Does WASAPI work on the same laptops with Vista? I'm curious if Windows 7 is doing something different than Vista in regards to WASAPI or other audio output.

May 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 25
There is another thread on the forum that mentions the fix, you have to set your output buffer length below 500 ms.

May 11, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 25
I see people are turning to windows 7, does it has any advantage from vista?

May 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 25
I tried the suggested fix over the weekend but i only got a few seconds of sound before cut off at ~250ms or below. I tried it on the xonar essence with 32bit RC version, i decided to go back to vista since i ran into wifi problems(disconnects like every other min)

May 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see people are turning to windows 7, does it has any advantage from vista?

Generally more stable and improved over Vista. I've used Vista, gone back to XP and will move over fully to Windows 7 once I get a new rig.

May 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 25
Confrimed ASIO is working with the Foobar2000 plugin and ASIO4ALL in Windows 7 RC1.

Is there a difference between KS and ASIO? i am using "Allow Pull Mode" setting only and have a 1ms buffer setting.

AS I mentioned before, I am outputing to a Ibasso D10 USB DAC/Amp. I am now using the SOX resampler plugin to resample 24bit/96Khz tracks to 16/44.1.

What is the effect of having the resampler active when the track is already in 16/44.1? Does the resampler recognize this and not touch the track? Or is the compatable track resampled?

Should I set the resampler to 48Khz instead of 44.1? That would downsample my 96Khz tracks and upsample my 44.1 tracks, correct or not? Any advantages/disadvatages?

May 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally more stable and improved over Vista. I've used Vista, gone back to XP and will move over fully to Windows 7 once I get a new rig.

I`ve done the same, turned back to xp, and I`m not missing vista, everything run smooth, installed a nice skin pack, I`m done with vista,
Anandtech claim that 7 will be faster than xp, but I really doubt, it`s just a Microsoft effort against "failure"
@OP, why dont you go back to xp, and wait till 7 sp1.

May 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 25
I prefer 7 over XP. They're both fine. I really does not matter...except to the individual. Most importantly, it has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about using Foobar2000 in windows 7.

I'm just looking for information and experience. Hopefully other users will benefit from the information that is gathering on this thread. So please stop wasting posts here. I didn't intend for this thread to become a comparision between OS or a statement of support for one or the other. If you have a question about Windows 7, PM me. I'll be glad to give my opinion/experience.

May 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 25
I've been using Win7 for awhile now, while it's not perfect (but then again, what is) it's quite a bit better than WinXP (never used Vista before). I can use WASAPI with my on-board sound card, but not with my DAC (via USB). ASIO4ALL works fine with both.

May 22, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 25
I'm having a problem with ASIO4ALL though, whenever a system sound is played the music stops for teh duriation of that sound. Any ideas? Going try WASAPI and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: This is on Windows 7.

May 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 25
Do you have Windows 7 drivers installed or are they wrapped Vista drivers? I have a Via Envy24 card, and installed Vista drivers and the S/PDIF output did not want to work, and even stereo output was wonky. I tried to run Bioshock and the sound did not want to work at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back