Windows 7 default sample rate/bit depth when running in shared mode?
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jtom94

100+ Head-Fier
I'm running Windows 7 and I have an Essence ST sound card. I don't what the correct settings should be and I'm asking for a little help. I mainly watch movies in my browser. 

1)
control panel --> speaker icon --> speakers(default device) --> properties --> advanced  
In Windows 7 what should I set for the default sample rate and bit depth?  16 bit 44100 Hz or 24 bit 44100 Hz? Does it make a difference? 

2) when I right click the Essence ST icon in the taskbar and bring up the ASIO control panel which Bit-Depth setting should I select? Should the bit depth match number 1.  

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 5
This should help.  Scroll down near the bottom to see.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/AudioPanel.htm

"The Default Format is the one used by Windows in shared mode.
The audio engine will mix and resample all the streams to the rate set in this panel.
24 bits: my DAC is 24 bit.
Playing 16 bit using this setting won’t do any harm  as simply 8 zeroes are padded.
I set the sample rate to CD quality as almost all of my audio is 44.1 kHz."

Shoot Mr. Kars an email.  He is also on this board as Roseval.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 5
  I'm running Windows 7 and I have an Essence ST sound card. I don't what the correct settings should be and I'm asking for a little help. I mainly watch movies in my browser. 

1)
control panel --> speaker icon --> speakers(default device) --> properties --> advanced  
In Windows 7 what should I set for the default sample rate and bit depth?  16 bit 44100 Hz or 24 bit 44100 Hz? Does it make a difference? 

2) when I right click the Essence ST icon in the taskbar and bring up the ASIO control panel which Bit-Depth setting should I select? Should the bit depth match number 1.  

As ASIO bypasses system audio path, whatever settings you have there on system audio panel it doesn't have effect in ASIO path. Set the ASIO to use highest dit resolution possibe (some audio interfaces allows to use of 32-bit mode as well).

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 5
  This should help.  Scroll down near the bottom to see.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/AudioPanel.htm

"The Default Format is the one used by Windows in shared mode.
The audio engine will mix and resample all the streams to the rate set in this panel.
24 bits: my DAC is 24 bit.
Playing 16 bit using this setting won’t do any harm  as simply 8 zeroes are padded.
I set the sample rate to CD quality as almost all of my audio is 44.1 kHz."

Shoot Mr. Kars an email.  He is also on this board as Roseval.

Great link. Lots of great info on that page that is really helpful. 

As ASIO bypasses system audio path, whatever settings you have there on system audio panel it doesn't have effect in ASIO path. Set the ASIO to use highest dit resolution possibe (some audio interfaces allows to use of 32-bit mode as well).

I think i got my answer. Thanks for the info. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 5

1)

Resurrecting the thread, maybe helps someone.

I recommend setting this value to 44@24 bit, if the sound card/DAC is 24-bit capable.

Q: What's the advantage?
A: Now you can lower the volume from Windows or use equalizer without losing SQ. If it's set to 16 bit, reducing volume below 100% digitally will degrade SQ. This is very handy when comparing the sound of different equipment with different sensitivity, you can easily match the volume without degrading the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back