Windows 7- Compatibility (Hardware / Software) Thread
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright you Windows 7 gurus that have been using the OS for a while now, would like your feedback with compatibility.

I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered a Windows 7 x64 laptop upon release. Should be here this weekend. So, upon searching a few things, and awaiting its arrival, I already read that my Verizon Wireless hi-speed usb modem that I take everywhere, is not compatible. Some issue with the drivers. I have installed this wireless usb modem on 3 Vista machines and 2 XP Pro with no issues.
I called Verizon today and they were not aware of compatibility issues with said modem and 7, and told me to bring the laptop in when I receive it and maybe get another wireless modem that will work. I ran the Upgrade advisor on a Vista machine and it indeed advised that the modem was not compatible....

So, I wanted to start a thread to see if any of you experienced issues going to 7 with any gear......DAC, soundcards, networks, wireless, USB to SPDIF converters etc...Software- All the usual suspects- EAC, Foobar, J River, Winamp, Nero etc...

Upon switching from your previous machine to 7 have you been able to connect all your devices for a flawless transition...?

Also, post your devices or software that have not worked on 7 yet...

I have sporadically read a few threads where some software or hardware does not work properly yet...With all your help, we can maybe compile a thread dedicated to these issues (positive and negative) and see as time goes on what devices / software did not work at first then issues were fixed....

Thanks in advance...

LIST (Audio Related)(Hardware)

DACs, SCs, DAC + Amp combo etc. (No issues)

- Compass (minor w/ Toslink)
- DacMagic
- Meier StageDAC
- Xonar D2
- Xonar STX
- Audio-Gd Dac19mk3
- Nuforce Icon Mobile
- HiFiMan EF2
- LD DAC_I

Software (Audio, DVD Related)

- Foobar
- EAC
- PowerDVD9

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 36
nothing as of yet. But I keep my system very streamlined lately.

Even with some minor hickups I wouldnt go back, the SPEED and effectiveness of 7 rapes vista and puts strain on xp as well. its what vista should have been. sucks that it will be very hard to get people to even try it for awhile since vista sucked and horded resources so bad.

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 36
The only thing I couldn't get working in the RC of Windows 7 was the application/drivers for my cellphone (Samsung Eternity). I had to go back to Vista for that. I have the RTM Win7 now, but I haven't tried the phone yet. I may wait and see if Samsung puts out a new driver.

About that modem, I would try to look and see to be sure there aren't drivers for it somewhere. I mean, I wouldn't just put complete faith in the upgrade advisor.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 36
Windows 7 Ultimate(and Pro?) have optional backwards compatibility. You can install them under the old "XP" section and it will work.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 36
There are some strange (but not bothersome) quirks to using my Compass DAC over toslink with win7 ultimate x64.

When fed from my motherboard's onboard realtek, I can play all the way up to 24/192; from an x-fi platinum, 24/96; and from my xonar DX (which is what I currently use) only 24/48.

Like I said, doesn't bother me, as i don't have much media over 16/44.1, and the seeming limitations of the xonar and x-fi are likely driver issues that will be resolved once win7 x64 driver development picks up.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 36
Works perfect. Just install it on another partition/hard disk first if you can just to test.

The only thing i really had to tinker with was bluetooth which just required me to google for the appropriate driver, download & install.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 36
DACMagic, check
Meier StageDAC, check

I believe the devices which worked in Vista will work in Win 7 as well.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 36
Both Xonar D2 & Essense STX work flawlessly here @ all resolutions to 192 KHz though the ADC used on both really only efffectively has a resolution of 96KHz as everything above that is distortion & aliasing. Yes that is 100% distortion beyond 96KHz sample rate. The DACs have good output, clean up to 192KHz sample rate. only about 3.5 db down @90KHz real response on the STX.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 36
Great job so far...Thanks...I have updated the opening post with a list from your feedback, thus far....For software, I have included DVD software also...I make DVD rips of some of my DVD concerts, so would be relevant....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About that modem, I would try to look and see to be sure there aren't drivers for it somewhere. I mean, I wouldn't just put complete faith in the upgrade advisor.

Thanks...The 7 Advisor was just as a last resort to check...I read on several forums including the Verizon one about the issue....I've had Verizon for about ten years and have been very pleased with their CS when I have had problems....I'm also up for a new modem (new every two), so timing is perfect.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DACMagic, check
Meier StageDAC, check

I believe the devices which worked in Vista will work in Win 7 as well.

Great to hear, thanks... I have the DM and also Vista x32 and x64 and everything works from my XP machines...

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 36
You don't have your specific DVD software listed, but I have no issues with PowerDVD9 that I know about. BD movies work fine too, discs or rips.

About the Xonar D2, it should work fine. I haven't had problems with mine. However, you might want to check the manual for it to see how it's different in XP. The audio framework is different in Vista/Win7, so if you're coming from XP and are used to doing something a certain way in that OS, it may be a little different in Win7. I know there were a few things it said were only in XP or only in Vista.

If you're looking for drivers and you don't see Win7-specific drivers, try the Vista drivers. They use the same driver structure. And of course, make sure you get the right version, 32- or 64-bit (I use 64-bit). Some driver packages will contain both version in the archive, so just generic Vista drivers may work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back