Windows 7 and Live Monitoring of Digital Input Playback via Digital Output (X-Fi Titanium)
May 11, 2010 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

galneon

New Head-Fier
Hello, new here... I originally posted this on the Creative forum, and it was suggested I ask here instead:

Let me start by briefly describing my current setup and the problem that ails me...

Right now, I'm using my onboard Realtek HD Audio chipset.  My setup begins with a digital mixer.  The inputs of the mixer take in audio from my guitar pre-amp, from a microphone, and from a synthesizer.  I output them via toslink to the digital in bracket connected to the motherboard header of my Realtek chipset.  From there, the signal goes out to my AV receiver. I use Windows 7, and this is the problem: There is a slight playback delay, 50ms or so, of input devices.  The only way I can get playback from my input devices is to check the "Listen to this device" box in Window's mixer, and this has an annoying echo cancellation delay which makes it totally unusable for playing my guitar, keyboard, or singing through my mic live.  The 50ms playback delay is crippling.  The fix on other chipsets and soundcards is to uncheck the "listen to this device" box in the input's properties, then unmute playback in the properties of the OUTPUT device, in my case the Realtek's digital out to my AV receiver.  Realtek, however, doesn't allow you to change the output level of digital inputs.  You have to either check "listen to this device" and suffer from the crippling playback delay, or uncheck the box and have no playback at all, only recording from the input.

My setup is difficult to explain, but hopefully some of you understand... If I was to buy an X-Fi Titanium to completely replace my onboard sound, would I be able to have LIVE, delay-free monitoring of all the devices on my digital mixer (which I would output to the toslink-in of the x-fi)?

Do Creative's drivers allow for the independent unmuting of digital input playback even when "Listen to this device" is disabled?  I know many other soundcards do, but have not be able to verify it with the X-Fi yet.  A pro audio card probably sounds more practical for my uses, but I am a gamer and can't sacrifice environmental audio.

If any clarifications are needed, please just ask.  Thanks for reading!

Update: I bought and installed the X-Fi Titanium, and find that the digital output's inputs are all still bundled under a signal master level.  This means that if I'm using digital output for playback of a digital input device (mic, guitar, keyboard), I can't uncheck 'listen to this device' and manually unmute the digital input level in the Levels tab of the digital output.  Is there no solution to my problem? This wasn't an issue on XP.

May 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 3
You need something that will run ASIO. What if you install ASIO4ALL now and try to use it to route to these onboard, existing WDM devices.

Something like a 1616M or 1212M from EMU work no problem.

dc

May 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the advice... Unfortunately, Realtek SPDIF In/Out are 'unavailable' in ASIO4ALL.  I sent the X-Fi back as I preferred Realtek's drivers anyway.

I haven't used ASIO since the last time I had my MIDI master controller hooked up to my Audigy 2zs.  This seems like a software routing problem and an issue win Win7 being inflexible, though.  Could ASIO actually be used in my signal chain, [source devices] -> digital mixer SPDIF out -> SPDIF in of X-Fi/Realtek HD -> SPDIF out to receiver?  It's not simply resampling/clock sync delays, because I've tried outputting from mixer to receiver directly (again via SPDIF) and I get live playback.  This seems impossible to solve in Win7, or at least on the two soundchips I've tried, as both digital inputs I've tried (Realtek and X-Fi) are bundled with a single master level (mute or unmute) inside the Windows audio CP's SPDIF out playback options, making it impossible for me to turn off 'listen to this device' and manually unmute SPDIF input inside SPDIF output playback options.  "Listen to this device" simply adds an artificial latency, which I've verified by outputting SPDIF from mixer to SPDIF in of Realtek/X-Fi with playback over analog to receiver--when I do this, I get live playback, and if I enable 'listen to this device' for the SPDIF in of my soundcard/onboard, I get live playback + mirrored delayed (50-100ms) playback simultaneously.

Sorry in advance if this is hard to follow in general :/  Any questions are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back