Windows 10 trouble
Mar 21, 2016 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

funch

Headphoneus Supremus
I am hoping that someone here more computer literate can help.

I tried my best over the last several months to avoid Windows 10, but the rat %#%^&$#s at Microsoft initiated
the download for me. I knew these punks were up to no good, and my experience today proves it.

It downloaded OK; slow, but it did finish. The trouble began when I clicked on 'Restart'. Bottom line is that it
won't. It got as far as a dark blue screen for the last several hours. Now, my worst fears are realized. I've probably lost everything including all of my music files.

Has anyone else had this experience. For me at least, all the scammers at Microsoft have accomplished is
losing a customer to Apple.

Can you tell I'm a bit ticked? :mad:

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 6
When I upgraded to Windows 10 I remember it took several hours to restart. During this process I was quite anxious since there were very few prompts advising me of process status. Since I do not know if you turned the computer off or not it is hard to say what you can do now to get back on track. Perhaps, take it to a computer repair center.

After I installed Windows 10 I could not get Lightroom 6 to function properly and in an attempt to reinstall it I was prompted that I was missing files which were necessary to complete the installation. I could not resolve this even with help from computer repair experts. I lost some very valuable RAW picture files. Being very frustrated, I purchased a new laptop preloaded with Windows 10 as well as a new copy of Lightroom 6. This works as it should. Now, I use the older laptop, for the most part, for music streaming to home theatre and to create PowerPoint presentations. There have been no further incidents with Windows 10 on this laptop; but, I have given up trying to get Lightroom 6 to work and have thus deleted the program.

In retrospect, my older laptop began with Windows 8 installed. I did not like it, being accustomed to Windows XP. I did not think, when given the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 there would be any harm, or hassle. Boy, was I wrong. And, the new operating system does not seem to be more accommodating to me than what I was earlier using. Bottom line, I figure the whole upgrade experience cost me about fifteen hundred dollars for new computer, repurchase of Adobe software, and computer repair attempt, with no perceived benefit other than to just keep on doing what I was doing with my laptop.

Interestingly, I was able to reinstall Roxio's easy LP to CD creator software on to my older laptop now running with Windows 10, as well as the drivers for my Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD. This means I can still use the laptop for playback and recording to and from home theatre. I would have thought for sure this would not have been possible given the trouble with Lightroom 6.

Regarding the loss of data, since I have my music uploaded to the iCloud using iTunes Match, and I have most of my photographs uploaded to Flickr, I knew I would not loose these if my Windows 10 upgrade failed in its ability to accommodate these programs. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 6
1. Download a ubuntu live CD, live cd's run the entire OS off a flashdrive or cd/dvd and allow you to do whatever you need to your windows drive without having any effect on it at all.
2. Boot the live cd and use it to copy all your stuff onto an external HDD. It will likely be under WINDOWS.old/users/*yoursusername*/music if you kept your music under your user account, and assuming the upgrade had commenced.
3. Then install ubuntu, copy your stuff back and forget this windows/osx nonsense.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Without ranting on and on, as far as I'm concerned, this is a form of big business terrorism. No person gets physically hurt, but their wallets surely do. Microsoft forces this on you so they can make you spend more money on tech, and
there's no possible way they will ever be held accountable. We be gettin' played by Microsoft. Totalatarianism at
its finest.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 6
It's highly unlikely that Microsoft forced the upgrade on you - it's more likely you didn't uncheck it on the most recent Windows Update session.

Regardless, you should be able to recover back to Windows 7.  I've done this on two systems that wouldn't fully boot Windows 10 after an update.  Full instructions in the link, but basically, you need to reboot the system and keep trying "Shift" "F8" at startup until you get the advanced startup screen.  Should be obvious from there.  Both systems recovered back to Windows 7 without an issue with all programs and files intact.

http://ccm.net/faq/42708-windows-10-how-to-recover-your-system-after-a-failed-update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back