Windows 10 in a NUC connected to DAC. Control it all via iPad Pro?
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

YesThisIs

100+ Head-Fier
So my setup was this:
Pretty modern i5 Intel NUC connected via USB to HDV820. This had Roon Rock in it. Controlled all by Macbook Air

My setup now: The NUC is running Windows 10 on it and is serving me as an 2nd desktop to backup files to google drive etc. via VNC. Basically as an server.

What i want: Plug HDV820 via USB to that Windows 10 NUC and run music from it. (Ofcourse when i do this only purpose of that nuc is to stream music in that time, no other backup's running etc.) Sound simple and is possible, right?

Now the problem comes that i want to control that music via upcoming iPad Pro. Is there an app or software or anything that i can install to that Win10 and control the music that way? Or is the only "real" way to do this, by just VM:ing into that NUC everytime i want to change a song.

(And i can install monitor and wireless keyboard + mouse. But that's not really elegant or practical for my use case)

And i could buy Roon Rock and run it. But a) Its hell of a expensive, alltrough exelent what it does. B) i want to do other things on that NUC aswell. It's useless if i install rock in it.

E: Apparently you can run ROON Core in Windows 10 machine. So this could be possible solution allthrough quite pretty penny. Anything alternatives?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 7
I'd recommend switching to Pi2AES and keep things simple.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 7
I know there is a Remote Desktop for Android, maybe there is one for iOS too.

A more common one is to have a UPnP server running on the NUC.
Windows Media Sharing can do this or Minin, Asset, etc.
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/stream.htm

Get some UPnP enabled software on the iPad and use the iPad as a control point.

Sound fair enough, will try this. Thank you

One option i have looked into is Audirvana. Basically the most "convienient" way to do this, will be to buy an license for Roon or Audirvana etc.

Will Audirvana work in my situation?

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 7
You can install JRiver Media Center on the NUC (about $50 iirc) and then use their app to control playback. It has a bit of a learning curve but does work very well. I use it with their app on my iPhone.

Edit: forgot to mention this is for playing back your library. I'm not sure about it's streaming capabilities but I don't think it's very extensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back