Windows 10 causing Dac/Amp to click on and off with any input
Jan 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

00birdy

100+ Head-Fier
I just installed windows 10 on my brand new computer, noticed I am having a weird communication issue that I never had on my old computer with windows 7.  my tubedac11 amp/dac makes a switching noise now everytime a new sound is coming through from the video card (connected via opticalout).  This was never an issue using optical out in the past.  What do I need to disable in windows to prevent all this noise and/or extra wear it is putting on the dac/amp?  I am really noticing it the most any time I change the volume slider in the bottom right corner.  Any change to the volume level causes the hard clicking/switching noise.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 6
Assuming the only thing you changed is the operating system (Windows 7 to Windows 10), the problem is most likely one of the following:

1. The driver used for this device is not compatible, or not designed to be supported by with Windows 10

2. The default Windows settings for audio settings may have changed from one version to the other

Does the manufacture provide a download link for the driver, or is it relying on being automatically installed by windows?

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 6
I contacted Grant Fidelity and they said it was a driver problem and that they do not support windows 10. There is a USB driver that I could try to use from 2011 but I didn't try it yet. I may switch away from optical to USB or S/PDIF and hope that helps? I would hate to have this nice piece of equipment ruined over a driver.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Have you updated the motherboard related and graphics (are you talking 'bout some integrated Intel HDxxxx GPU or something else?) drivers yet?

The driver (USB ASIO) from 2011 should work in W10 but you may need to install it manually.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Well that was easy!  I misspoke about the video card, all the audio outputs are from the motherboard (Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5) which has a special "USB DAC-UP" I didn't know about, I should have tried just using the USB first.  Old habits die hard.  So I didn't even need to install the driver yet, and already using the USB out has fixed all the problems.  No more noise on volume changes or anything.  It also shows up as a SPDIF Interface in the playback devices menu.

edit: this little guy on the far left.  Glad to know this is a thing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back