Windows 10 audio glitching when alt-tabbing
Aug 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

musiclife

100+ Head-Fier
Seems like Windows 10 (latest version) doesnt isolate the sound driver well, or maybe its an IRQ management issue. Either way I replicated the issue using Foobar and VLC. When using an external usb DAC, no issue.

And this is happening on a brand new Surface Laptop 3, which is made by Microsoft as a premium laptop. Extremely disappointed.

You can try it while running semi-intensive programs, something like a webapp on chrome for example. When alt-tabbing the audio is filled with scratches and glitches.

Aug 21, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 5
It's happening because the the graphics accelerator on that device is slow basically. Also that device is designed to save battery and last forever, not be performant.
All you can attempt is different GFX drivers

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 5
I did not have this issue with my old macbook air which was running the much slower HD620 intel GPU. Same thing with my previous laptop, a Thinkpad X1 carbon also running the HD620 with Windows 10.

The Surface Laptop 3 I have now is running an Intel Iris Plus/Pro GPU which is up to 3x times faster, so that cannot be the issue.

I am surprised nobody noticed this kind of problem with onboard audio on a Windows 10 PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back