Wind Storm in Seattle
Dec 12, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
Now if the electricity is out more than an hour at Starbucks, we qualify for some sort of disaster recovery, right???

starbuckcup.gif

JF

Dec 12, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I remember when I was a kid and we were hit by a rare storm like this we were sometimes without power for up to 5 days.

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Just last Thanksgiving-ish we were out of electricity for 12 hours. Other areas out for days. Commuting around all the tree and wires in the road was interesting. However, I kind of thought that that wind storm cleared out all the weak trees. Nope. Things are flying around again.

JF

Dec 13, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Brown outs are very common in SoCal.

That's why I have just about everything plugged into a UPS that needs it.

Man, so much lead in my place. It's an environmental disaster! Well, if they get busted open or something.

Which reminds me, I found out that my local Jiffy Lube shop will accept old sealed lead acid batteries from UPS's for recycling.

I'll have to check into some office supply stores, as I think they take them too.
I have 50lbs of lead to have disposed of. :eeK:

-Ed

Dec 13, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Brown outs are very common in SoCal.

That's why I have just about everything plugged into a UPS that needs it.

Man, so much lead in my place. It's an environmental disaster! Well, if they get busted open or something.

Which reminds me, I found out that my local Jiffy Lube shop will accept old sealed lead acid batteries from UPS's for recycling.

I'll have to check into some office supply stores, as I think they take them too.
I have 50lbs of lead to have disposed of. :eeK:

-Ed

Someone told me that electric cars require 30 batteries annually. Guess if we all switch to electric cars, there would need to be a huge recycling program to deal with all the waste acid and remelt the lead. Yikes...

JF

Dec 13, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I remember when I was a kid and we were hit by a rare storm like this we were sometimes without power for up to 5 days.

8-10 years ago where I'm at, near Seattle, the power went out 3 days when the temp was in the teens. My hot tub froze up and broke, plus the filter housing, piping and possibly the pump. Since it still fills about 2/3's, it's been turned into a fish pond... aprox 15 Coy swim happily where I once did
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back