Winamp:
Jan 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CardasHD650

Head-Fier
Really not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but around every 20 / 35 minutes of playing music and surfing the web simultaneously, the whole computer freezes and I have to shut the PC down. Never had this problem before I installed the program. Any ideas what it could be? Incidentally, I'm predominantly using original CDs and very few FLAC files. It's absolutely baffling me and no idea how to resolve it, apart from changing the player. I noticed a thread from Vinceb52 on the XMPlay and that's definitely intruded me to DL it. As much as I love Winamp compared to my old players > Media Player Classic > Windows Media Player - which are both unbelievably bland compared to Winamp. So naturally I've come to the conclusion it's in a mess and something needs sorting or a new player is a must. Any ideas would be brilliant, Many thanks!

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Yeah it’s strange. Everyone else I know hasn’t had it either – and the program was rigged fine as far as I know. Nevertheless I had to uninstall it and DL XMPlay. It’s nothing special TBH very similar to Windows Media Player’s quality. PC’s running sweet as a nut now though, so I’m quite happy. Just a shame about Winamp, really liked it’s sound.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 13
You can change output from directsound to waveout and vice-versa, try switching and see if it solves the problem. I am using an SSRC output plugin to resample to 24bit with dithering and a larger buffer, and have never had a crash or freeze, even after over 20 hours of playback. I am also using the MAD decoder plugin for mp3.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 13
A computer that is clog with dusk can also freeze randomly. My computer is an example, after cleaning all the dust covering the components inside my computer, the problem went away.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm glad people on head-fi still show some love for Winamp. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 13
Not sure what version of WinAmp you were using, but it's possible that some of this the bloat (WinAmp Agent etc.) that gets installed with the player was conflicting with some other application. Maybe some sort of autoupdate procedure that starts ~30 minutes after you start WinAmp?

I don't think this bloatware deserves any love. Unless you're using some ancient version or go through the trouble of forcefully slimming it down.

If you're on the look out for a new player, give uLilith (sort of looks like WinAmp) and foobar (can look like anything) a try.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 13

[size=medium]
I used to have a similar issue to the OP.  It would only happen when Winamp was on random.  Having such a large collection, my HDD began to stutter, thus slowing down windows.  I knew something awful would eventually happen.  So I backed up my files to a new drive.  Sure enough, that seagate was done for.  

[/size]

Quote:
If you're on the look out for a new player, give uLilith (sort of looks like WinAmp) and foobar (can look like anything) a try.

I just started playing around with foobar this evening.  It's kinda interesting yet intimidating.  

I'll give uLilith a shot.  Thanks for the tip. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 13
I had a similar problem and found out that my hard drive was hosed. Went bought new ones, transfered everything, a few corrupt files later everything was dandy. Tried to use the old hard drive again just to make sure it was the hard drive and it would lock up my computer for 10-15 seconds every time I tried to access a file.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 13
Yep bingo.  I hope you RMA'd that drive if it was still under warranty.  I got a recertified seagate, which they gave me 500gb since the 400gb was no longer in production.  

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 13
Better check hard drive for errors. I dont know what the proceedure is on windows, i think chkdsk /f /r or something should do the trick. It should tell you whats up.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 13
First of all, what are the specs of your computer? Software (OS, Winamp version, updated/outdated drivers, etc) and hardware wise.

And if you think Media Player Classic is bland, then you're not tweaking it properly. People also think foobar2000 is bland, until they find out how it can be configured and have additional components added
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Been using winamp since 97, tryed foobar because of this thread, good choice but not of my taste having to deal with folders only to get a decent interface :wink:. Anyway good ligthweight player, will explore more of this in the future with a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back