Winamp
Feb 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lordgibbness

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody excited to hear that a new version of Winamp has been released? The new v5.20 now has support for unicode and ID3v2.4, I believe.

I still think it's a nice player (and my main player when I just want to find a song in windows explorer. fb2k is mainly used with my fully-organised-and-tagged music collection.)

It would be nice to have replaygain from the get-go but I use the Shibatch plugin to handle that. I suppose the only complaint is that you have to configure numerous plugins for each type of media format you use.

Anyhow, good to see it's still alive and kicking...

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I've always been a dedecated Winamp user, but it's v2.91. Ever since version 3 I've been unhappy with it's performance. I don't want all this extra junk and stuff that they do with it anymore, just my old, simple, fast Winamp that I love. Winamp and WinExplorer are the only tools I need for my computer audio.

I've used more recent versions lately just because some of the skins available matched some of my other shell skins. Right now I'm using the base WinXP skin so I'm have my beloved 2.91 running in it's green glory, and with WinVista looking pretty sexy itself I think I'll stay with 2.91 for a while.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 10
I tried it out earlier today and it fubared my setup.

I think it has troubles with the Kernel Streaming plugin I use so some MP3s would crackle and sound terrible.

Tried downgrading back to 5.13 and Winamp was screwed. Had to reinstall everything ... what a pain.

Now I'm back to 5.13 and don't plan on upgrading for a longggggggg time.

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion

I think it has troubles with the Kernel Streaming plugin I use so some MP3s would crackle and sound terrible.

Tried downgrading back to 5.13 and Winamp was screwed. Had to reinstall everything ... what a pain.

Which one KS plugin did you try to use?
The one named out_ks.dll (~80kB, from http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~cshei/)
or
Steve Monk's out_ks35 (~105kB, from http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...=4569&st=150)?

jiitee

Feb 25, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 10
had a look on the change log: it allows for syncing library with ipod, zen or any mtp player. that's nice. Gapless playback added, too
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Heh, the unicode support is only for the tag editor itself it seems. The playlist and winamp itself still choke on it. Not a make or break for me at this point anyhow, but it will be in the future when I stop converting everything to romanji. I'll be moving to Foobar anyhow - once they get the new version out of beta phase. (I just see no point in setting up Foobar to look the way I want it and lose all that work when the version change happens...)

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz
Heh, the unicode support is only for the tag editor itself it seems. The playlist and winamp itself still choke on it. Not a make or break for me at this point anyhow, but it will be in the future when I stop converting everything to romanji. I'll be moving to Foobar anyhow - once they get the new version out of beta phase. (I just see no point in setting up Foobar to look the way I want it and lose all that work when the version change happens...)

Have you tried, if adding your language into non-unicode programs group helps?

"If you're using Windows XP, go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language options -> Advanced tab. Under Languages for non - Unicode programs, select the language".

jiitee

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 10
I could do that to test, and I have run in non-english default language before to run some games, but the yen signs replacing the backslash drives me batty.
tongue.gif
If it can not support unicode without windows being switched to a different language, I can not give it much credit.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirednemesis
I've always been a dedecated Winamp user, but it's v2.91. Ever since version 3 I've been unhappy with it's performance. I don't want all this extra junk and stuff that they do with it anymore, just my old, simple, fast Winamp that I love. Winamp and WinExplorer are the only tools I need for my computer audio.

I've used more recent versions lately just because some of the skins available matched some of my other shell skins. Right now I'm using the base WinXP skin so I'm have my beloved 2.91 running in it's green glory, and with WinVista looking pretty sexy itself I think I'll stay with 2.91 for a while.

I believe you can simply select the components to install in the later version (uncheck video playback etc.), or you could install the lite edition. There are security updates in the new version which would make it worth installing.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion

Sometimes it is worth doing a fresh install rather than installing over the top of a previous version. To keep a backup of your old settings you can just rename the winamp folder before you install the new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back