Winamp vs Foobar2000 ?!
Mar 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #31 of 106
Foobar by far for me. Winamp doesn't support gapless playback (there maybe a setting or plugin in I don't know about) which drives me nuts.

Also Foobar when configured properly is much nicer than and Winamp and provides many more options. BR3TT's newest Foobar configuration for v0.9.4, v0.9.5 & v0.9.6, called Kameleon is amazing.

Kameleon_v1_1a_Released_by_Br3tt.png

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #32 of 106
Winamp used to have gapless but I can't get it work anymore. I use Foobar but only for replygain/flac conversions but I may move over to Foobar for my main player. Will try out that skin.

How do you install it? No readme in the zip file, and searching for it goes to a non existant FAQ :-/

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Winamp used to have gapless but I can't get it work anymore. I use Foobar but only for replygain/flac conversions but I may move over to Foobar for my main player. Will try out that skin.

I realized I for got to add the link for the skin. There is a bit of configuration that needs to be done first but he does provide complete instructions and all the necessary components. Here's the link foobar2000 - Kameleon config. There is also a thread at Hydrogenaudio with some more info and adjustments. BR3TT posts as Falstaff there Kameleon by Br3tt - Hydrogenaudio Forums.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #34 of 106
I use winamp, and to me it sounds the same as foobar. I don't have my music organized (save for the month in which I buy it) so winamps ability to manage that really wins out for me. You also don't need to spend a week figuring out which foobar set-up you like best.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 106
Actually, for organizing I have found WInamp to be quite good. Media Monkey also has some great features for keeping track of large collections, which I am sure most of use have.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #37 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure about that one, I have seen some very nice Winamp configs.

The ability to script Foobar allows it to do far more than Winamp, at least from what I've seen. But I'll admit I could be wrong as I stopped using Winamp long ago. Most of what I saw on Winamp was just skinning, albeit some very nice skinning.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #38 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearpoweredpenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ability to script Foobar allows it to do far more than Winamp, at least from what I've seen. But I'll admit I could be wrong as I stopped using Winamp long ago. Most of what I saw on Winamp was just skinning, albeit some very nice skinning.

The scripting would offer great features. I have seen some great Winamp configs though. I know there have been some great new additions to Winamp, Album art..realtime info for the bands or artist.

I have played with Foobar and it seemed like a great player but I didn't find it offered me anything I wanted that Winamp couldn't provide. Although I have seem some great players constructed for foobar posted by well versed users.
Don't get me wrong I am not saying Winamp is better then foobar..etc.
The more choices for good players we have the better.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #39 of 106
@Nukepenguin, have you looked at Media Monkey? The greatest point about MM, is the ability to use plugins written for Winamp such as ASIO,KS..etc. Also has exceptional organizing features. I am a Winamp fan but I found that player has some really great features for those who like media players. -Not to go off-topic.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #40 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Nukepenguin, have you looked at Media Monkey? The greatest point about MM, is the ability to use plugins written for Winamp such as ASIO,KS..etc. Also has exceptional organizing features. I am a Winamp fan but I found that player has some really great features for those who like media players. -Not to go off-topic.

I use MediaMonkey and I do like it, but I mainly use it for the custom report plugin. Custom Report 2.0

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #41 of 106
I recently installed Foobar...and have two questions. I have Vista 64bit...should I install ASIO or whatever it is? Second, I'm surprised that one player would sound better/worse than another...is this just for digital files? I listen to mainly CDs...

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #42 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently installed Foobar...and have two questions. I have Vista 64bit...should I install ASIO or whatever it is? Second, I'm surprised that one player would sound better/worse than another...is this just for digital files? I listen to mainly CDs...

It's not an issue of them sounding better or worse, but more one of features and customization. It really does come down to personnel preference. I think Foobar can be a little bit intimidating at times for those who aren't comfortable or familiar with scripting, as even many of the available configurations take a little work to get exactly how you want.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #43 of 106
"No gapless in Winamp"..? Definitely not the case, it worked pretty well for me "straight out of the box" but try playing with the buffer settings - I can't remember where they are just now (not got Winamp here), but will have a look and post again if anyone needs help finding them. Basically you can tell Winamp to start "reading" the next track sooner (ie a few seconds before it actually starts playing) so that when that track officially starts, it is all ready to play. Ironed out the occasional gaps perfectly for me
smily_headphones1.gif

If/when I have a bit more time I might play around with Foobar and get it all working the way I want - designing custom interfaces does appeal to me! But to be honest I'm not too keen on the way the currently playing/playlist (not sure how to describe this) is handled in Foobar.. prefer the playlist + library setup of Winamp.

(Keep seeing typos and editing this post!)

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #44 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar: less resources, though more complicated interface. Once you know how to set it up, unbeatable with ASIO and WASAPI

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back