Winamp vs Foobar2000 ?!
Mar 9, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 106
You can't beat Foobar for its simplicity (read: you can make it as difficult as you want
wink.gif
).

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 106
foobar for the fun of setting up my own panel and settings

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #18 of 106
Foobar with WASAPI output sounds better than any other player... except XXHighend.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 106
The two, if properly configured, will sound exactly the same. It all comes down to personal preference in terms of features available. I think memory footprint, all said and done, is negligible on modern systems - if you have an older computer with less than 512MB of RAM and you also have tons of tabs on firefox, you may want to pick foobar for that extra 10-20MB of RAM, but honestly in most computers it's not that big of an issue. I use foobar, for a couple of reasons. Foobar has an ABX tester, which I often use. It also has a better (read: free) converter, and I think the interface is much easier to use than winamp (I use the basic interface that comes with foobar, as I'm very much a form follows function guy. Finally, I like the album art feature on foobar (ok, so I'm not entirely form over function :p).

That being said, it all comes down to personal preference. Winamp is much less of a headache to setup, has much nicer looking skins, and takes up less screen real estate, if you're the type of person that likes to have your player always on top. Finally, foobar's kind of glitchy with FoxyTunes. All said and done though, I prefer foobar, but that doesn't actually mean it's better, just that foobar has features that I enjoy, but others may never use, such as the ABX tester.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #22 of 106
Another decent player is Media monkey, this player allows Winamp users to move over their favorite plugins, if they use them. This app has some different features for organization and tagging.. etc over Winamp.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Winamp, I have tried Foobar but just used to Winamp....

@Eraser, Winamp also has replay gain.

But last time i checked, winamp relies on the input plugin for replaygain, while foobar has standard replaygain support that works for all formats which have tags.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #26 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Winamp, I have tried Foobar but just used to Winamp....

@Eraser, Winamp also has replay gain.

...but not the ability to manually adjust replay gain values. Big plus for foobar (although both players, identically configured, will sound the same).

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #27 of 106
foobar has been the best option since shortly after its release IMO. There is no reason to use winamp really...
@ them sounding the same. They wont. Foobar will give a better audio experience because it supports gapless playback. Some albums are designed to be continuous. Winamp cant do that last time i checked (fairly recently actually).
Also, winamp uses more resources and will create additional EMD when cpu ticks over which will create RFI and, if you are using an internal digital converter itll sound noisier.
edit: @ notuagain thats funny, because ive been using winamp visualisations on foobar for more than a few years now.
If skins are that big of an issue, you'll probably be doing them yourself. Foobar is far mroe customisable.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 106
I prefer Foobar for its media library, and its ability to tag files. With a bit of work, I got it where I can view by album artist, performer, composer, conductor, recording type (i.e. commercial, etree, homemade), quantization (16- or 24-bit, 44.1/48/more kHz), genre, year, etc.

However, sometimes I like to fire up Winamp and trip out on the MilkDrop visuals...

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slogra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But last time i checked, winamp relies on the input plugin for replaygain, while foobar has standard replaygain support that works for all formats which have tags.

Wasn't getting into the finer points of the replay gain, just mentioning it is there.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but not the ability to manually adjust replay gain values. Big plus for foobar (although both players, identically configured, will sound the same).

Wasn't getting into the finer points of the replay gain, just mentioning it is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back