WinAmp Vs Foobar2000 - Kernel Streaming
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WraithApe

Headphoneus Supremus
I use both WinAmp (v5.666 Build 3516) and Foobar2000 (v1.3.3) in  Kernel Streaming output mode - foo_out_ks with Foobar and out_ks363 with WinAmp. What I've noticed for some time now is that the same music consistently sounds slightly louder and fuller out of WinAmp. I don't see why this should be the case, but undeniably, every time I switch between the two (I've even tried doing this with the same track), I have to turn the amp down a bit when switching to WinAmp and up again when going back to Foobar; there's a palpable difference. I don't use replay gain in either program.

Anyone else had a similar experience or have any idea why this might be the case? I expect some would say it's just psychological, but since I have no particular preference (in fact, I prefer Foobar2000 in terms of the interface), I don't see why I would try to convince myself of this difference if it weren't really there.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried WASAPI component with Foorbar2000?
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 4
I've tried WASAPI in the past and could never get it working for some reason. Had a different DAC back then, so I might give it another go now. That said, I'm not sure whether the output mode should have any difference on the sound - doesn't that just determine whether or not the data is streamed directly to the device without intervention from Windows? Despite mentioning the output mode in the thread title, I'm inclined to think that it's down to the difference in logic the two programs use for determining things like max volume. Either that, or it's all in my head. Not discounting that possibility at all.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 4
WIthout the code of both its impossible to tell. Foobar 2000 probably has the more accurate representation based entirely on the sound you describe being in the mainstream more enjoyable, which rarely translates to accuracy.

Give wasapi a go and see how you go, in theory both methods of kernel streaming should have the same result, but so SHOULD wasapi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back