WinAmp problems
Apr 1, 2002 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
I am using winamp instead of MS CDPlayer and generally appreciate the greater range of options and neat plug ins of Winamp. However, the program is less rock solid than CD Player and frequently gives crackles whenever the processor is suddenly stressed. Also, even worse, occasionally on some tracks which CD Player does fine on, WinAmp gets jammes and starts extremely choppy and/or distorted playback. Again, the CDs are clean, and MS CD Player has no problems whatsoever playing the exact sams tracks.

Does anyone else have this problem and are there any fixes? (I have an Athlon Tbird 850 Mhz by the way with Win 98 and 512 Megs of RAM, and a SB Live 5.1.)

confused.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 9
1. You might want to use the Cd Reader plugin. It read the cd digitally so no distortion of any kind.

2. Set winamp priority to highest.

3. Set the buffer of waveout(or directsound, depends on which you use) to 5000ms.

Apr 1, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 9
I always had problems with winamp until I upgraded away from Win98 (not to winME, dammit) and then after that I never had problems.

My $0.02. Maybe I'm just a moron though.

Apr 1, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Hey xerx, thanks for the link and the tip, i've been having the same kind of problems delenda mentioned. Much appreciated!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 9
i have no problems with mine.

i do have the MAD plugin for more quality

there are settings under preferences to allow more resources

look under options / preferences / options
there is a sliding scale to allow more computer processing time
remember some of these dont take effect until you reopen winamp

lastly while sound blaster Audigy is not really a hifi card i changed from sound blaster live and the increase in sound quality was worth the money. BUT unless you have something special rather than just normal pc speakers , i dont suggest the card undate.

Apr 1, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Wow every time I load an audio cd winamp opens up and it can't even read the darn cds! Think I will get the plug in hehe..

Biggie.

Apr 1, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 9
thanks Xerx and Ken! I'll give those things a try...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Winamp and Windows Media player has this problem where it would try to actually rip the digital information from the CD and play it back. Many CD-ROM drives I have used have a problem with this type of play back because its CPU demanding and requires a large buffer for read errors. The digital information it acquires allow pluggins and visual effects to work.

Windows Media Player has an option to turn off the digital CD playback mode and turn on analog mode. This will force the CDROM to read the audio CD like a normal CD player and send the signal to its analag out and then to the sound card (or digital out if you got one of those newer and fancier CDROMS). This bypasses the CPU and bus, but you won't get any visual effects. I don't know if winamp has a special mode like Windows Media Player does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back