Winamp crashing crashing when using Kernel Streaming..
Mar 27, 2006 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I found this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNwiLD0
I used Foobar (properly set up with SSRC resampling and kernel streaming) for a full week. The Database/Playlist management gives me a headache compared to Winamp's Library (been using that for a few years now). But the sound quality was a step or two above Winamp .. until...

I searched google and with the right output plugin(s), I'm back to Winamp. Here's how.

out_ks33.dll (Steve Monk's post) - Kernel Streaming. If you have a good soundcard and don't want resampling, this is all you need. Based on the original out_ks.dll, but without that really big bug of stopping playback at the end of a track. And volume control too, if you want it.
^ no more edits for now

HQSoftProc Software Resampling v4.4 - Fancy name, but it's free. Check the readme for your sound card's recommended bit resolution and bit rate settings. Us Realtek AC97 people use 16-bit and 48000. Put the kernel precision from 150 to 300 if your cpu allows. You can also choose which output plugin you want, so be sure to grab the Kernel streaming one above and route it through there. I can't test ASIO, but according to the readme, it's also supported.

Without resampling, sound quality technically should be the same. With resampling, I found it, dare I say, slightly better than Foobar's SSRC Resampling.

When I use the HQSoftProc Software Resampling plugin with the Kernel Streaming plugin, winamp will crash with this error when I try to play something:
Bs799742.jpg

I am using an X-fi sound card with the latest drivers. Now, I can use both of these plugins seperatly just fine, but when I try to use the HQSoftProc Software Resampling plugin with the Kernel Streaming plugin, winamp will just crash with that error. Does anybody know whats going on here, and how can I fix it? I'm using winamp 5.2.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 5
What do you need resampling for anyway when you have an X-Fi? Make sure you have that in creation mode (IIRC this was the "bit-perfect" mode w/o resampling), and you should be set. You could also use the ASIO output plugin instead of the KS thing.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Ok, so I should just use the Kernel Streaming plugin? And I should be in Audio Creation mode with bit-matched playback enabled?

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Yes and yes. (Though I still trust the ASIO output plugin a bit more in terms of cooperation with other plugins for the time being. No idea why the KS thingway is so picky.)

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Where do I get the ASIO plugin? And how should I configure it? Sorry I am only now learning more about using a PC as the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back