Winamp Asio Support
Jun 22, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 16
What do gen_ddecontrol.dll Ver. 0.01.1 and out_speed.dll Ver. 0.03.2 under winamp do? What's the difference between out_asio(dll).dll (dll version) Ver. 0.66.1 and out_asio(exe).dll (exe version) Ver. 0.69.1? Lastly, How am I supposed to install the ASIO plugins?

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by neonextgenazn
What do gen_ddecontrol.dll Ver. 0.01.1 and out_speed.dll Ver. 0.03.2 under winamp do?

The former I'd assume to allow controlling Winamp via DDE, the latter is kind of a benchmark that measures how fast things can be spit out.

Quote:

What's the difference between out_asio(dll).dll (dll version) Ver. 0.66.1 and out_asio(exe).dll (exe version) Ver. 0.69.1?

The latter launches a separate executable that does the ASIO output, which can be useful for load balancing. Otherwise everything will run within the winamp.exe process.

Quote:

Lastly, How am I supposed to install the ASIO plugins?

With a bit of common sense. Open archive, choose version (normal/SSE/SSE2) according to CPU capabilities, drop into Winamp's Plugins folder. Not everything needs a fancy installation routine.

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 16
What did you set for buffer size (0-63), shift output channels, gapless mode, convernt 1channel to 2channels, and use direct input monitor? Also, can you further explaun load balancing? For I'm still having trouble distinguishing the difference between dll version and the exe version.

I use an X-Fi so don't think that it'll be necessary for me to turn on resampling.

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 16
I have a few more questions:

1. What is the optimum output format setting (24bits (int), 32bits (int), 32bits (float), or 64bits (float)) for a X-Fi? I'm setting up mpg123.

2. Does replaygain degrade the sound quality?

3. And for ASIO settings, do I need to enable resampling? I've heard that the X-Fi already does a good job resampling sound files to 48000 hz.

4. Lastly, should I stick with the Creative ASIO driver or should I install the ASIO4ALL driver?

Thanks a lot guys!

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 16
1) Cd's are 16-bit, your soundcard is 24-bit that operates on a 32-bit PCI bus. You may find additional info here. I set my X-Fi to 24-bit integer.
2) No. ReplayGain will make sure that all the songs play back at the same loudness, thus freeing you from changing the volume for different songs which had been mastered at different levels.
3) You'll most likely achieve the best results in Audio Creation Mode @ 44.1 kHz (no resample).
4) The creative ASIO driver works great.

Jun 24, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
1) Cd's are 16-bit, your soundcard is 24-bit that operates on a 32-bit PCI bus. You may find additional info here. I set my X-Fi to 24-bit integer.
2) No. ReplayGain will make sure that all the songs play back at the same loudness, thus freeing you from changing the volume for different songs which had been mastered at different levels.
3) You'll most likely achieve the best results in Audio Creation Mode @ 44.1 kHz (no resample).
4) The creative ASIO driver works great.

So I shouldn't use 32bits (int), 32bits (float), or 64bits (float)? What did you set for Preamp under Replaygain? Did you enable the Hard limiter? Forgive me for my ignorance for I'm still new at this! Thanks a lot!

Jun 24, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 16
With ASIO selected as my output in Winamp I lose control of volume. It's always at max even though if I try adjusting the Windows volume control. Anyone know what's the deal here?

Jun 24, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyleow
With ASIO selected as my output in Winamp I lose control of volume. It's always at max even though if I try adjusting the Windows volume control. Anyone know what's the deal here?

The volume slider in Winamp (and mixer (Wave slider)) is bypassed w/ ASIO and Kernel Streaming device drivers --> so it's OK if it's not functioning at all. You still can adjust the level using Main volume setting (on mixer or if allowed, the one on Task bar).

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back