Winamp 5.0
Dec 24, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by ADS
What? Where did you hear that? It's freeware. 5.0 is much better than either 2.x or 3, and it's compatible with 2.x plugins. The MAD decoder is quite outdated by the way, I recommend trying out foobar2000 if you want the best possible MP3 decoder.

Heard that. I'll probably be switching over, oh say TOMORROW. lol Anyway, I'm working with the masters on HA to try to get this Kernel playback working.

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #32 of 35
Still using v2.81 here. I had v3 a few months back but kicked it off as it had too many bugs for my liking (can't quite remember but I think it just kept crashing).

I like XMMS on Linux. Basically the same GUI as Winamp but sounds so much better due to the ALSA drivers having been written by people who have a healthy respect for coding and sound quality.

Dec 25, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #34 of 35
2 things...

If you are a hardcore winamp 2.x're then give 5.0 a try...and when I say I try...force yourself to use it for 3 days and then decided...5.0 is not leap...its just a better version of 2.0 that needs to be tried by the hardcore 2.0'er (me before last weekend when I finally made the 3rd plunge and it sticked).

One more thing that should probably be a new topic....speaking of linux...I dual boot to redhat...what should I be running? Is it better than the audio in annoydows? (I just made that up after a couple beers
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by skoiboy
2 things...

If you are a hardcore winamp 2.x're then give 5.0 a try...and when I say I try...force yourself to use it for 3 days and then decided...5.0 is not leap...its just a better version of 2.0 that needs to be tried by the hardcore 2.0'er (me before last weekend when I finally made the 3rd plunge and it sticked).

One more thing that should probably be a new topic....speaking of linux...I dual boot to redhat...what should I be running? Is it better than the audio in annoydows? (I just made that up after a couple beers
smily_headphones1.gif

The newest version of Alsa will often provide superior sound quality compared to the windows drivers. Visit http://www.alsa-project.org for more information. Have you tried Fedora yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back