Winamp 5.0
Dec 22, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #16 of 35
agreed, Winamp 3 was rubbish.. i've always been a 2.x man myself, so it'll be interesting to see what 5 is like (btw, what happened to 4??
biggrin.gif
)

g

Dec 22, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
(btw, what happened to 4??
biggrin.gif
)

5= 3+2

didn't know 5 was out, gonna check it immediately!

Dec 22, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 35
I'm sticking with 2.9. Last time I tried 3, it was horrible and just wouldn't work correctly on my computer. Can't say I have much trust in Winamp's future variations when 2.9 still plays MP3s perfectly fine.

Dec 22, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 35
I was just like you 48 hours ago vertigo...trust that winamp 5 is the same as 2.x but a little faster with video support...

Just force yourself to use it for 24 hours...

I had downloaded 5.0 3 or 4 times before and deleted it because I could pry myself away, but I finally did...

the new one also lets you change the transparency of the interface so it doesn't bother you as much...

Dec 23, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 35
oh definately try it out. the reason they came with 5.0 is that they realised 3 wasn't any good. so, I'm just betting they took all that was good about 2.9 and just added the extra skin support and a couple extra features. 3 didn't even work on this computer, but 5 is good so far.

then again, for MP3 only, winamp has always been good. any version will do I guess.

Dec 23, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #21 of 35
I dont like winamp, it just to . . . spicy ! Theres to many colors and crap like that !
However I like the v3 skins, cuz they got so many options.

I'll stick with J.R Media Center 9, and Foobar2k. That have always been efficient for me
biggrin.gif

Well, happy donwloading for all you winampers
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 35
I'm using it with the SSRC output plugin (24bit/48khz) and it sounds significantly better than WMP9
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 35
I'm still using 2.91. Supposedly the crap and spyware content of the newer versions is quite high, and there's NO WAY I want spyware on my computer. 2.91 works just fine with the MAD decoder, which I like. The normal decoder sounds a little muddier in comparison and that darn hiss/distortion thing drives me nuts.

edit: My vote for worst media player either goes to RealPlayer or Windows Media Player (8 is horrible, 9 is OK), both of which have unacceptably low quality playback.

Dec 24, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
I'm still using 2.91. Supposedly the crap and spyware content of the newer versions is quite high, and there's NO WAY I want spyware on my computer. 2.91 works just fine with the MAD decoder, which I like. The normal decoder sounds a little muddier in comparison and that darn hiss/distortion thing drives me nuts.

edit: My vote for worst media player either goes to RealPlayer or Windows Media Player (8 is horrible, 9 is OK), both of which have unacceptably low quality playback.

What? Where did you hear that? It's freeware. 5.0 is much better than either 2.x or 3, and it's compatible with 2.x plugins. The MAD decoder is quite outdated by the way, I recommend trying out foobar2000 if you want the best possible MP3 decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back