Winamp 24-bit encoder?
Apr 18, 2004 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GreenFloyd

Head-Fier
I read in a review @Newegg that I'll need an encoder to get the most out of a 24bit card, is this true? I don't currently have one, but once I buy one I'll need to get one.

Are there different encoders? What's a good one?

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 20
You can start w/ Chaintech's AV-710. It's damn cheap at $24.50 outside of CA, and I read it sounds pretty damn good.

Turtle Beach has this new card called Catalina, that does hardware DD 5.1 and DTS, AND optical in and out. $63 though.

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 20
Do you mean decoder not encoder?

I use in_mpg123 instead of MAD for decoding.

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenFloyd
I read in a review @Newegg that I'll need an encoder to get the most out of a 24bit card, is this true? I don't currently have one, but once I buy one I'll need to get one.

Are there different encoders? What's a good one?

Do you mean decoder for playback? I switched to foobar because it has high-res modes for playback.

Apr 18, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
While we're on the subject of Winamp, somebody mentioned a "TOP QUALITY" mode which they said sound better than Foobar. What is all that about?

That's a setting for the resampling quality in the ASIO output plugin. If you're going to do resampling in realtime then this setting in Winamp is better than the one in foobar's.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
That's a setting for the resampling quality in the ASIO output plugin. If you're going to do resampling in realtime then this setting in Winamp is better than the one in foobar's.

Well I've tried that tweak, and it could be my brain playing tricks on me, and I'm fully prepared to hold my hands up to that possibility, but I think i do like the sound of it better than Foobar. It seems a bit bassier and more punchy, it seems to make Foobar sound a little thin, it definitely seems warmer sounding.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenFloyd
Are they really necessary to get better sound, anyways?

I recommend just trying them and choosing what you like the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Well I've tried that tweak, and it could be my brain playing tricks on me, and I'm fully prepared to hold my hands up to that possibility, but I think i do like the sound of it better than Foobar. It seems a bit bassier and more punchy, it seems to make Foobar sound a little thin, it definitely seems warmer sounding.

I find that the Winamp TOP setting preserves more detail. Transients and microdynamics seem to be better. foobar seems to be a bit too smoothed out in comparision. It maybe subtle to some. Should be more evident if you had a better card like the emu
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 20
http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(exe)_043.zip

Then dump the out_asio(exe) dll and exe file which are in the bin\normal folder in the zip into winamps plugin directory.

Then go to preferences, and output, and configure the options there.

HTHs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back