Win an X-Feed!!!
Oct 24, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #92 of 168
So we can all take another guess?

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #93 of 168
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd

It is not "unfair" for me to state this fact and there is no possible way anybody can gain advantage from this statement. The state of play is that seven people have correctly guessed 3 of the numbers out of a possible 6 numbers.

a smarter man than myself could take all the combination of numbers so far guessed and try to find which sets of 3 numbers show up in exactly 7 peoples combinations. while it is a distinct possibility that there is more than one such set, i don't think it is likely in such a small sampling. and even if that were the case, the information does represent an advantage.

edit: oh yeah, it is still your contest pinky. feel free to run it any way you like. you're still the man for giving up free crossfeed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 9:13 AM Post #94 of 168
Quote:

So we can all take another guess?

You get two guesses but only the first one counts.
biggrin.gif

I would think the hint would degrade in usefulness with each passing day/post. So someone could possibly cheat to get into a playoff, that is to say that no one gets four or five correct before the deadline.

Oct 24, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #96 of 168
Quote:

a smarter man than myself could take all the combination of numbers so far guessed and try to find which sets of 3 numbers show up in exactly 7 peoples combinations. while it is a distinct possibility that there is more than one such set,

He did not say each of the 7 have the same three correct numbers; just that each of the 7
have three of the six correct numbers.

However, one could test a random string
to see if exactly 7 of the entries contain more that three of the numbers in the string. How many strings would posses
this property? I'll leave that as an excersise.

[EDIT]

I may have misread the rules of the game.

Apparently, one needs to choose six distinct
numbers in the range 1-30. No repeats. The order
of the numbers you give is irrelavent as well. Is
this correct? If so, things are ok (one would
expect 7% of the entries to have three numbers correct).

Sorry, for my confusion ...(is there
a confused smily?)

Oct 24, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #97 of 168
good call arzela. funny how gross anatomy totally destroys your math skills. (other people in my class have noticed this too)

i'd think more about this particular problem but i'm too afraid i'll push out some information i'll be needing in about 9 hours.

Oct 24, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #99 of 168
Quote:

Originally posted by Arzela
Sorry, for my confusion ...(is there
a confused smily?)

confused.gif

And I guess I get to take another stab at it:

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #101 of 168
2 3 7 10 21 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back