Win 10/Foobar Gainstaging and Volume Control
Aug 23, 2017 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a bit lost atm. With Win10, Foobar and an USB Audio Interface There are just to many volume controlls. Please help me to get the best sound possible.

I have two Scenarios:
1. Playing a Game plus listening to Music
2. Only listening to Music

In Case of 1. I currently use Foobar's Volume controll at -16db to balance Game Audio with music. Does this introduce unwanted degrading into the music? Basically, is foobars volume controll safe to use, or should it be at 0db all the time?
Windows Audio Level is 100% in this case. I use the Volume Control of the Amp to controll the overall volume.

In case of 2. I Max Foobar and Windows Volume and Controll the Output with the Amps volume controll.
All Sounds well, i just want to be 100% sure i'm getting the best settings i can on my PC.

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 7
It's best to keep the volume at 100% on the digital end, but if you don't hear any degradation in sound, there's no reason not to control the volume in your player if that's more convenient.

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Windows volume, and foobar volume can be whatever you want without any distortion. I'd suggest setting your interface volume no higher than 70% and working backwards from there!

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Windows volume, and foobar volume can be whatever you want without any distortion. I'd suggest setting your interface volume no higher than 70% and working backwards from there!
Thanks. I'm in the process of getting a new amp. Currently The Interfaces Headphone Out does not have enough power to work with the HD600 like that. 70% on the Interface is "quiet listening levels". Depending on the Track of course. Most Modern Recordings are fine but especially the quieter tracks of the start wars soundtrack or most of my classical recordings are high dynamic range and are missing the "levels" sometimes.
If the Import and shipping weren't so rediculous to Europe i'd just get the Schiit Fulla to hold me over. I'll have to look into what cheap solution i can get to work until december. I'm eyeing the chord mojo or the aune x1s (o2 combo is an option too) but don't have the money atm.
Any tips for something "entry level" to push the HD600 until the money for something decent is available (4-6 months)?
(Man, a simple answer from you and i tell you my whole life story... Sorry for that :wink:)

Edit: Currently looking at the SMSL Range. The M3 (might not have enough power at 24mW at 300Ohm) or M6 look like a decent fit to work until i upgrade.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks. I'm in the process of getting a new amp. Currently The Interfaces Headphone Out does not have enough power to work with the HD600 like that. 70% on the Interface is "quiet listening levels". Depending on the Track of course. Most Modern Recordings are fine but especially the quieter tracks of the start wars soundtrack or most of my classical recordings are high dynamic range and are missing the "levels" sometimes.
If the Import and shipping weren't so rediculous to Europe i'd just get the Schiit Fulla to hold me over. I'll have to look into what cheap solution i can get to work until december. I'm eyeing the chord mojo or the aune x1s (o2 combo is an option too) but don't have the money atm.
Any tips for something "entry level" to push the HD600 until the money for something decent is available (4-6 months)?
(Man, a simple answer from you and i tell you my whole life story... Sorry for that :wink:)

Edit: Currently looking at the SMSL Range. The M3 (might not have enough power at 24mW at 300Ohm) or M6 look like a decent fit to work until i upgrade.
24mW at 300 ohms is really weak honestly. The Magni 2 is pretty decent at running the 600/650 and it puts out 260mW. I'd try for something in that range of power, a little less would still be fine. But 24mW wouldn't be worth it at all IMO

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 7
You must be careful to avoid clipping when mixing audio from multiple sources. If foobar and/or game volume are 100%, clipping is likely. Another option you didn't mention is to use the Windows mixer.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Ideally, you'd be using something like WASAPI or ASIO so you don't have to deal with other volumes but that limits you to having either music playing, OR everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back